Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO will not transition to cows milk

Default LO will not transition to cows milk

DD basically weaned herself while we were on vacation. I had kind of expected it since when we are away from home during the day, she does not cue to nurse. She just went to nursing through the night. She is still nursing through the night 1-2x, and maybe 1x during the day. I can NOT get her to drink cows milk. She will not even drink BM out of a sippy, let alone cows milk. Should I be concerned about her milk intake?
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Default Re: LO will not transition to cows milk

If she's nursing 3-4 times a day/24hr period there's no need for any other 'milk' product. I'll brb with a linky
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My daughter wouldn't drink any kind of milk when she weaned, cow's, soy, rice, 1%, 2%, whole, etc... We tried it all, even chocolate. But, she would eat yogurt and cheese, so she was just fine. If she is not eating cheese or yogurt, let us know and I'll be back with calcium/protein ideas.

yup lots of people don't drink cows milk and are healthy!

Personally, I hate drinking cow's milk and cannot anymore due to a late onset lactose issue. That said, my dd1 refuses to drink it as well. Like pp's she will drink yogurt drinks and eats cheese. But, what makes me feel better is that she likes orange juice - so, I buy the calcium plus D fortified OJ. Read the labels - I know more sugar, but it has same or more depending on brand of calcium and vit D as cow's milk. HTH.

Agree with all pps and add you could also give a multivitamin once weaned and just make sure lo is getting enough fatty foods. But while still bfing lo will be just fine. DS only drinks choc. milk once in a while. He wouldnt drink it when he weaned and I was concerned but doc says no problem since he loves cheese and oj. I started him on a multivitamin today so I'm alot more confident that he is getting what he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    If she's nursing 3-4 times a day/24hr period there's no need for any other 'milk' product. I'll brb with a linky
    I'm gonna guess that this is the link that Eme was thinking about - nutrition for nursing toddlers.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I started supplementing with milk about a month ago because my twins seemed interested after I became pregnant (and I'm pretty sure I had a drop in supply). One of my daughter's has had a dairy sensitivity and so we tried soy milk and also cow's milk to see how they would do with both. Both of our girls seem to digest both types of milk just fine, but they don't like cow's milk. So we are using soy milk.

Unfortunately soy milk is a lot lower in fat that cow's milk, but our pediatrician said to go ahead and use soy milk if we wanted to when they were 12 months, so I think that it is fine as long as they have other good fats in their diet. So I'm not going to push cow's milk--I prefer the taste of soy milk too--and I just make sure that I offer them foods like avocado and cheese and give them dark meat chicken, etc.

I've read elsewhere that a lot of breastfed babies prefer rice or soy milk to the taste of cow's milk, so it could be that your child has the same preference that my little ones have.
    and mom to Haneul and Iseul, our fraternal twin girls born 3-29-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I'm gonna guess that this is the link that Eme was thinking about - nutrition for nursing toddlers.
    Goodness!!!! - oh my I forgot to come back! THanks Lynn, that was it indeed
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.