Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my milk still doing him good?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Unhappy Is my milk still doing him good?

I know it is essentially, but are the immunities as strong or numerous or ?????

Until ds was one year old, he hardly was ever sick. Since he turned one year (two months ago), he's had ear infections and pink eye (which I know anyone can catch no matter what immunities they have) and now diarrhea. Is he making up for lost time (which I know he's not), some immunities lost or not enough from my bm???

Not to mention that we've been in toddler-teething hell for the past two months and still going. I know that may have some to do with all of this, but enough already!!!! Poor little guy
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Is my milk still doing him good?

A little about BM immunities here
    We all get sick eventually, as I know you know, it's not a bad thing
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My understanding is that antibodies in MM become more concentrated (more per ounce) as our babies get older. So there's definitely great immunologic advantages to continuing to nurse. While it's tough seeing our kids get sick, it's inevitable. Just think how much worse it may have been already if you'd not nursed!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma2-3 View Post
    My understanding is that antibodies in MM become more concentrated (more per ounce) as our babies get older. So there's definitely great immunologic advantages to continuing to nurse. While it's tough seeing our kids get sick, it's inevitable. Just think how much worse it may have been already if you'd not nursed!
    Plus, the more teething there is, the more things get put in his mouth now that he's really mobile. There've probably been things he's put in there that you don't even want to know about

Thanks, lllladies. I guess it's good to be remined of these things from others when you're going through it.

I know that the pink eye and diarrhea are opportunistic little buggers. He started daycare only last Monday, so he's now exposed to all kinds of things that he wasn't before. DCP said that she hasn't had a case of pink eye at her place since January. IDK about that. She's told me other things that I haven't found to be true and has left out information, so I'm looking for another place as we speak. I just started this new job less than three weeks ago. We've been preparing for the convention that we're hosting this week and I'm missing it all. (Sorry, a little venting of my frustrations.) It is what it is, though, and it's out of my control. My boss and co-workers are very understanding and supportive which is great.

Do you think teething, especially teething out-the-wazzoo, creates more opportunities to become ill?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apron.strings View Post
    Do you think teething, especially teething out-the-wazzoo, creates more opportunities to become ill?
    Absolutely. I think part of it is mechanical: a baby with sore gums is even more likely than usual to be putting unsanitary things into her mouth- and part of it is physiological: a teething baby isn't sleeping as well, maybe isn't nursing/eating as well, and her immune system may be a bit low as a result.

I hope you can find a more satisfactory daycare soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*apron.strings;542925]Thanks, lllladies. I guess it's good to be remined of these things from others when you're going through it.

I know that the pink eye and diarrhea are opportunistic little buggers. He started daycare only last Monday, so he's now exposed to all kinds of things that he wasn't before. DCP said that she hasn't had a case of pink eye at her place since January. IDK about that. She's told me other things that I haven't found to be true and has left out information, so I'm looking for another place as we speak. I just started this new job less than three weeks ago. We've been preparing for the convention that we're hosting this week and I'm missing it all. (Sorry, a little venting of my frustrations.) It is what it is, though, and it's out of my control. My boss and co-workers are very understanding and supportive which is great.
    [QUOTE]
    I've totally btdt with pink eye and daycare when George was only 3 mos. old. The dcp said that no one else had pink eye and she had no idea how he caught it TWICE within 2 weeks. Funny, since George didn't go anywhere else at that time, and we hadn't even had any visitors who had it or who even had kids during that time period

Soon after that though, I saw a bunch of snot on her shirt, and watched her holding my baby and all the other kids. She'd cuddle them right to her shoulder in the same place and I could tell that she'd been basically spreading the cooties right to my baby as she pressed his little face into the gunk on her shoulder Freaked me out at the time, but when you're caring for so many other littles, I'm not sure what else you could do about that...

That is until I watched her wipe a toddler's VERY runny nose on her own sleeve! It wasn't the first time she took care of stuff like that, and then she told us she also didn't clean the daycare toys according to the regulations for our city bcse she thought it wasn't necessary and a bunch of other stuff. We pulled George out of there when we could.

Yes, because they're so uncomfortable, they'd chew on ANYTHING just to get some relief. Toys from other kids' mouths, grocery cart handles, anything they can get their hands on will go in their mouth and get gnawed on... It's a tough age, but they make it through it.

Y'all rock. Thank you!

Update: to add to our fun-filled days, he barfed all over the both of us. He's never thrown up before, poor little dear. I don't know if it was b/c of the stomach bug he has or b/c he had yogurt this morning and isn't used to having dairy due to his intolerance to it... I thought it might help with the diarrhea. Boy, do I feel like a dummy!!!!!