Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about cooking chicken

Default question about cooking chicken

I am interested in starting meats for my LO who is almost 8 months old. I don't want to give him the stuff in jars.

I want to start with chicken but am not sure what's the best way to cook it. Is it okay to bake it with a little olive oil (like I do for us, minus the seasoning?) Or do you just throw it in the oven plain with nothing on it at all?

Is it okay for them to have olive oil or vegetable oil at this point?

Default Re: question about cooking chicken

Get a chicken breast, bone in, with skin. Rub it with olive oil and bake it at 375 until done (about 45 min..but check the temp). When it's done, cover it for about 15 minutes (this really helps retain the juices). After it's cool, remove the skin, tear the juicy meat off the bone and serve it up.

I put salt and pepper on the skin since I peel the skin off and it seems to help flavor it just enough.

Re-warms great in a steamer, but never seems to be as juicy as when it's fresh.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

So it sounds like olive oil is okay..... he has never had any food that's not pureed so I'm a little nervous about giving him something really "solid." How do you make chicken the right consistency for this age? (8 months old).

Yes, olive oil is fine. It really shreds apart after it's cooked, so just dice it up in little cubes and he'll be able to work it with those gums.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

just a note for solids in general. When ds1 was small our doc told us to keep in mind that a child's esophagus is slightly smaller than a regular-sized hot dog wiener so be sure to cut the food smaller than that
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

i'm super paranoid so i break into really overly tiny pieces
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I use to "string it" for ds1. (pull it apart with two forks) that way it was easier for him to pick up, but still small enough to slide down his throat if he forgot to chew
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post
    So it sounds like olive oil is okay..... he has never had any food that's not pureed so I'm a little nervous about giving him something really "solid." How do you make chicken the right consistency for this age? (8 months old).
    DD is 8 months, sometimes we chop it up in a food processor until it is very tiny pieces. Then mix it in with other things like sweet potatoes. Sometimes we cut it into strips that she can gnaw on. Either way works well.

As far as cooking I use boneless skinless thighs because they are cheaper and much more tender (fat!). You dont need oil, just put them in a frying pan until they are done.