Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding is not going well, please help

Default Re: Breastfeeding is not going well, please help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*harrisons.mom View Post
    Sebsmommy, Thanks for the link! There is a lot to read through and I'm excited for the directed information! My original horns were to small (24 mm I think) and the lactation consultant at the hospital gave me 30mm's. They were perfect for when I delivered and was so puffy from fluid retention but now the 30's are too big. Is too big bad? BTW...my step son's name is Sebastian...cool name. We call him "Sebby".
    I think there is one size in between the 24 and 30 -- 27 I think. We call our little guy Sebi too, sometimes Seabass . How are things going. Any better?
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

The pp's have offered some great advice. I hope it helps but we are always here for you if you continue to feel discouraged.
    I don't really notice a "gulping" or swallowing sound from my LO after the first couple of minutes either.
    Nursing him as often as possible, even if you don't think he's getting much, is the best way to increase supply. This link explains how milk production works which might help you also.
    In general, a baby is much better at removing milk from the breast than any pump. And the more milk is removed from the breast, the more milk the breast will produce.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Amy.Marie - I just purchased from "breast flow" bottles from BRU last night. It did slow the LO down. What normally took 5 minutes to chug (4 oz) he did in 15 minutes. If these don't help then I'll give the nipples you mentioned a shot. I've included a link to the product as and FYI...I hope it's not a gimic. Thanks so much for your help! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2793339
    Last edited by @llli*harrisons.mom; July 24th, 2008 at 10:05 AM.

kerralynn3 - I am taking 6 capsules of fenugreek / day and drinking mother's milk tea 3x's a day. My ped gave me an rx for raglan but I haven't gotten it filled yet in hopes that the supplements I've been taking will help. I haven't heard of lactaflow. Is that something you can get at GNC or BRU? Thanks so much for the help!!

mamagoesmoo - cute name! Thanks for the info on the horns. I have been switching between the 24mm and the 30mm when I get sore (the 30mms don't make me sore). I think I'll pick up the 27's and see if that helps! Thanks so much too for the info on the Kassing method. We weren't doing anything close to that but started last night with the bottles I mentioned above. We aren't sitting him up though as the method suggests and will start that today. I hadn't thought about renting a hospital grade pump but that's a great idea.

Beccamomof2 - BIG HUGS to you too for your LO being in the NICU. I hope your cutie is 100% a-ok! Thanks so much for the info on weaning. Once his weight is back to where the ped wants, with the doc's approval, we'll try that.

sebsmommy - Seabass is a cute nickname! We are struggling w/ a nickname for Harrison that isn't Harry. LOL. Thanks for the info on the horns!!

mollyb - Thanks for the link on milk production. My lactation class didn't cover that (odd isn't it??). That helps. Thanks too for the support! You ladies are WONDERFUL! My husband doesn't really get why this is so upsetting for me and it's made a huge difference knowing I have some support on this now. The info on the gulping / not gulping is helpful too!

Thank you ladies for your help! The past 24 hours have been much better for me in terms of not feeling as discouraged. I had a yummy oatmeal breakfast this morning and am listening to sounds of my little one while I pump! =-D Hopefully we'll get on track w/ nursing and everything will be great.
    Last edited by @llli*harrisons.mom; July 24th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

We're here if you need us.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My LC gave me the lactaflow, and I was also able to find it at a breastfeeding specialty store we used to have (it has closed now ).

Do you have an LC you have been in contact with? It might also be available online for purchase.

Good luck with everything!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

All the other woman gave you wonderful advice. I am glad to hear you are feeling better. That will surely help your supply. All the things I would have thought to say are about the size of horns, hospital grade pump, changing bottles... etc. Try to nurse till he falls asleep, as he does, offer the bottle, then after a few minutes stop the bottle and latch him back on to the breast. It will help stimulate the breast again, easier than pumping and since he is awake and alert he may actively nurse again. Most importanly... hang in there and I hope you are doing better. Oh, one more thing... how often is he nursing once you are at home at night? Maybe waking him every two hours or so to nurse would help. Remember you milk supply is lower at the end of the day (when you get home) than at any other time of the day.

wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

My daughter Rory is 9 weeks old. We had quite a bit of trouble with BF because of supplementation, slow weight gain, blah, blah, blah. My milk supply was dangerously low at one point, too. I am in close contact with a wonderful LC who has saved the day. (You don't happen to live in the Houston, Texas area, do you?) The KEY to building my supply was renting a better pump. I have the Medela Lactina Select. The suction will seem a bit strong at first, but you will get used to it quickly and it doesn't really hurt - it just feels uncomfortable at first. By the way, I was using the PIS before this. The PIS is meant to be used by moms with a very healthy, well-established breastfeeding relationship. You need something stronger. That is the first step to solving your problem. Once you get the better pump, you should pump 8-12 times a day for 15-20 minutes. Don't bother hanging out on the pump for an hour. According to my LC, it's far better to do shorter, more frequent pumping sessions than longer, fewer ones. There is so much more I can tell you. Getting and frequently using the better pump is the first step. Rory is now getting full meals at the breast around the clock (except for her 7:00 p.m. cranky hour - but that's another story!). By the way, I have also rented a Medela Baby Weigh scale so that I can track her daily weight gain AND know exactly how much milk she gets during each nursing session. The scale definitely helps to encourage me during this process! Please let me know if and when you want more information about the next step my LC gave me. PLEASE contact me if you have any questions!

kerralyn3 - thank you for the info on the lactaflow. When I'm able to get in touch with a LLLI LC, I'll ask for that.

motherof3girls - I generally nurse the lo 3-4 times when I get home. if he sticks his tounge out even once I pop him on just to keep him familiar with the nursing closeness and position. Great idea to put him back on the breast after a few minutes on the bottle! I'll try that tonight.

rorysmom - Thank you for your story and the advice. I sent you a note offline requesting more info.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rorysmom View Post
    Rory is now getting full meals at the breast around the clock

Molly