Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Snacking?

Default Snacking?

Not sure what my LO is doing but I'll call it snacking. Normally, he'll usually finish one side and then feed on the other side for a few minutes. If all is well, he'll nap after a diaper change until his next feeding which has been roughly 2 - 3 hours later. In the last 3 days, he'll have what seems like a normal feeding but then he'll stay awake and "snack" on and off for 2 hours. When he finally does nap, he'll nap right through to the next feeding or wake up right on time to eat his regular meal.

I've been feeding on demand for almost 2 weeks now, but I'm not sure if I should wake him or let him sleep. The snacks never amount to what a normal feeding feels like since he'll drink for a minute or less and he's doing it once or twice a day. Diaper output is still normal.

Is this normal for a baby reacting to something I ate? Is this something I should talk to the pediatrician about? I've eliminated certain foods to see if it'll get better. I don't think it's a growth spurt since he did the feeding every hour bit last week!!

Default Re: Snacking?

Sounds like either growth or just learning to stay awake longer. I would say ride it out. It doesn't soudn like a food issue or anything along those lines. Remember there is a growth spurt at 3 weeks! MY ds would do similiar things here and there and sometimes it was just his way of creating a new "schedule" for himself! Good luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I agree with Kelly, keep doing what your doing and this will probably be something that resolves itself.
    In these early weeks, anything goes! Since babies breastfeed and mommy's don't, it's almost always better to let them tell you when to nurse. Usually there is a reason for it, although sometimes we don't know or never figure it out.
    If diapers are ok, he's not fussy, no constant inconsoable crying, it might just be a normal pattern for him.
    If he's sleeping longer stretches it's ok to let him sleep, you just want to keep an eye on those diapers. Maybe he's tanking up for a longer nighttime?

Your doing awesome mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

It doesn't even sound to me like it needs resolving. It sounds like his eating patterns are changing. The one thing you don't want to do, is count on anything to stay the same with infants. Everything in the way of eating and sleeping is in constant flux. As long as out put is good. you are fine. You need to learn to trust your child and your body. Your baby will eat to hunger and your body willl produce to satiate said hunger. Bring him to the breast as often as he wants to eat. It's ok if it changes his eating patterns. He's going to fop that all year long.
    Oh and FTR I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby. A sleeping baby isn't hungry. A hungry baby will wake to eat.

Way too lazy for formula

I doesn't sound like there is a real problem, as long as diaper output is good. My dd lived on the breast literally for like 4 months! She never had an actual "meal" she just nursed for a few minutes at a time, every 10 - 15 minutes, around the clock. So I think you are doing a fine job! Try to just go with the flow, and not worry to much about it.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!