Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She rarely asks for nursing at 15 mths?

Default She rarely asks for nursing at 15 mths?

My lo is a great nurser but doesn't really ask anymore. She is excited to nurse in the morning but the rest of the day, I just offer at our normal times. I often wonder what would happen if I didn't but I don't want this to end too soon. Is this ok to just offer to her at certain times?

She usually nurses at 7 am, 9 am, noon, 3 pm, 5:30 pm, and bedtime. The 7 am and 5:30 ones are pretty short, maybe 10 min long. Does this sound like she wants to wean and I just keep making her do it? She is still only getting lunch and dinner of solids, we still haven't mastered breakfast yet.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: She rarely asks for nursing at 15 mths?

WOW! You could have just described my son and my nursing relationship! He asks for it first thing in the morning and then not again till nightime! But, I still nurse him down to nap and when he gets up from nap. I was just thinking the other day, "If I stop offering it, would he wean." I don't know, but I do know I'm not ready to wean. 3-4 x's a day is seldom enough for me. I figured, you can't make a baby nurse. If they don't want to nurse, they're not going to. And, almost everytime I offer, he thinks it's a great idea. So, I figure, when he tells me he doesn't want it when I offer, then he'll be self weaning or when I start getting done with nursing, I'll just offer it less and less. You can't make a baby nurse.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Don't offer, don't refuse is a weaning technique. Toddlers are busy and can forget to ask. If you are okay with the nursing relationship, offer as often as you are comfortable with. Your toddler will nurse when she wants to. You can't force a toddler to nurse. If she did not want to then she would refuse when you offer. Your DD may be weaning, but technically they are weaning from the time they start solids. If your DD did not ask for dinner, you would still offer it, right? In the same sense, it is okay to offer to nurse, and if she does not want to then she will let you know.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

IMO, that age is too young for don't offer don't refuse. I think that age is a very forgetful age--if you didn't offer to feed them they wouldn't eat, and nursing is no different. Its a source of nutrition, just like any other food or drink (but its 2 in one ). If you choose not to offer, you are encouraging weaning.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree with pp, if you choose not to offer you are encouraging weaning. IME you can't make a baby nurse who doesn't want to nurse.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Thanks to you all, I just wanted to be sure that it was ok to just offer when it seemed like the right time of day. I don't want to wean and I wasn't about to start DODR but I also didn't want to make her. I guess you all answered that one, if she doesn't want it then she won't nurse. Thanks!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.