Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Improving latch?

Default Improving latch?

My baby is 10 days old, and has been a great nurser from the beginning. He latched on from the start, but he doesnt open as wide as I would like to get the whole nipple / areola in his mouth. So, sometimes it hurts!! He will start to when latches on, but then backs off to just my nipple... Is there anything I can do to teach him to open wider? I know he will get more , and I wont hurt...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Lori
    Wife to Bryan
    Zoe, born 10-08-2006, 6 lbs. 2 oz. 18.75 inches long!
    Rylan, born 07-13-2008, 7 lbs. 2oz. 20.25 long!
    Loving every minute of it!!

Default Re: Improving latch?

I suggest a visit to your local LC! There's nothing like hands-on help.

Here's what helped me (aside from seeing the LC, which helped the most):
    - patience- waiting for my LO to open as wide as possible
    - re-latching if the first latch was bad
    - feeding using the side-lying position, so that the bed supported my breast and my LO's head, and I could use both hands for positioning
    - the "sandwich technique"- imagine biting into a big hoagie sandwich. If you wanted to get the most sandwich into your mouth, you'd squash it into a flatter shape, right? Same with the breast. Position your fingers in a "C" shape, with thumb above the areola and fingers below. Then compress your hand, flattening the areola from a round shape to a more oval one. Keeping the areola/nipple area flattened, latch your baby on.

HTH, and congratulations on the new baby!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I suggest a visit to your local LC! There's nothing like hands-on help.

Here's what helped me (aside from seeing the LC, which helped the most):
    - patience- waiting for my LO to open as wide as possible
    - re-latching if the first latch was bad
    - feeding using the side-lying position, so that the bed supported my breast and my LO's head, and I could use both hands for positioning
    - the "sandwich technique"- imagine biting into a big hoagie sandwich. If you wanted to get the most sandwich into your mouth, you'd squash it into a flatter shape, right? Same with the breast. Position your fingers in a "C" shape, with thumb above the areola and fingers below. Then compress your hand, flattening the areola from a round shape to a more oval one. Keeping the areola/nipple area flattened, latch your baby on.

HTH, and congratulations on the new baby!!!
    I would do the same but I was also told to remember not to let your little one slurp you like spagetti big open mouths only and it is ok to unlatch and try again.. also to gentle pull their chin down a little when latching it helps them open wide and if you little one gets a good latch you can tell... hang in there you are doing a great job and it takes alot of patience but it will happen...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

the first few weeks are tough, especially with trying to get a good latch. I suggest propping the breast up with a rolled small facecloth or towel, to lift the nipple, and like PP said, cup like a C. It takes lots of tries, and lots of time, but you'll both get it.

Here is a helpful demonstration of a good latch:

http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...0Animation.swf

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kathrynk View Post
    the first few weeks are tough, especially with trying to get a good latch. I suggest propping the breast up with a rolled small facecloth or towel, to lift the nipple, and like PP said, cup like a C. It takes lots of tries, and lots of time, but you'll both get it.

Here is a helpful demonstration of a good latch:

http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...0Animation.swf
    I've been having problems sometimes too.
    this animation helps.

thanks