Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Wakings

Default Night Wakings

My LO (4 months) was on a pretty good routine. Slept 5 or 6 hrs, woke, ate, slept another 2 or 3 hrs. The past three nights she's slept one stretch of 3hrs then woke every 1 - 1.5 hrs.

So I have a couple of questions.

What could cause her to wake more often all of a sudden? She's starting to teeth, but she doesn't seem to be in pain when she wakes. I don't think it's a growth spurt because she's not eating more often during the day. She's just waking up more at night.

I automatically nurse her when she wakes... even if it's every hour... She can't actually be hungry every hour can she? So is it all right that I'm nursing her anyway? She usually falls back asleep pretty quickly so she's not really eating much.

TIA

Default Re: Night Wakings

I'm not going to be too much help , we're going thru the same thing right now too. CI's 5 months and he just started waking up several times during the night when before he would sleep for long stretches. It could be the teething, that's what I'm blaming ours on. I do know that sleep routines vary in infancy and once you think everything's becoming routine, it up and changes. Hopefully this will pass soon for you & your lo!
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

This is real common. My LO would go through spurts where he would wake up more often and then wake up less often. It definitely felt like there was alot of variablilty the first 6 months. After that, he just started slowly, 2 steps forward, one step back, begin sleeping longer and longer stretches. My 9 months to a year most babies are sleeping one really good long stretch, most of the time (except when teething, fighting a cold, missing mom, grass growing loo loudly outside their window, etc).

Your daughter might be hungry every hour or maybe not. But, I do know, to this day, nursing is still the best way to get my LO to go to sleep. It's always ok to nurse a baby, even when (especially when) you're not sure what they want.

If you think she's waking up because she's hungry, but then falling asleep again before she's full, only to wake again soon, you can always sit up in bed a little more and get her to wake up a little more and get a longer nursing session.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Here's an article about 4 mo waking at night. http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    Here's an article about 4 mo waking at night. http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html
    Thank you.

I don't doubt that she's hungry at all at night. It's more the fact that she wakes every hour. I know nursing comforts her which is why I've automatically done that. I was just wondering if I should try rocking her instead. I'm def not willing to let her cry it out.

It is very common, I remember 4 months being a big growth spurt time. It could be she is so distracted during the day, taking in everything, that she is reverse cycling and needing to eat more at night.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

We were dealing with growth spurts and teething right around that time.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I don't know that I'm much help either other than to say you are not alone! My ds was 4 months on 7/16 (was born 11 days after his due date). Around 2 1/2 to 3 months he was sleeping 6-7 hour stretches. Then I went back to work and we also moved him from a cradle in our room to the crib in his own room. These events happened within a 2 week period. During that time and for a few weeks after he went back to waking every 2-3 hours. He then reverted to his longer stretches again for a few weeks, but now for the past couple weeks (around the timeframe of him turning 4 months) we are back to the shorter stretches.

The past 3 nights have been like clockwork. He has gone to bed between 8:30-9 and sleeps until 12:00-12:30. We nurse back to sleep and then he's up almost exactly one hour later. I'm like you, I can't imagine he's hungry after just one hour. The first night I think it was due to gas, and we nursed back to sleep, but the past two nights he has taken the pacifier and gone right back to sleep until 3:00-3:30. We haven't had any problems going between bottle, paciifier, and breast and my assumption has been that if he's really waken up due to hunger he wouldn't accept the pacifier. Around 3ish he nurses back to sleep until 5:30-6:00 when we have to start getting ready for the day.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let you know your lo is not the only one!