Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing Cereal and Formula

Default Mixing Cereal and Formula

I am planning on starting cereal with my lo today. I am going to mix it with formula to get him used to the taste in case I have to supplement when I go back to work. I was planning on using the little bottles that the hospital gives you. I have never used formula before. How long does it last in the fridge once it is opened? Any thoughts on mixing cereal with formula? My lo is 6 months old and EBF. Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Mixing Cereal and Formula

If your LO is EBF and has never had formula, and never had cereal before either, I would not recommend trying them combined for baby's first cereal feeding. If baby has a reaction, you won't know if it was from the formula or the cereal?? If you can pump or hand express a little breast milk, I would recommend using that for baby's first cereal feeding. You won't need much... that first feeding of cereal should be a pretty small portion. At this age, you should try to introduce 1 new food at a time, if possible...

A second option is to just mix the cereal with water... turns out, my DD ate cereal better when it was mixed with just water, instead of mama milk or formula...

Good luck mama
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    If your LO is EBF and has never had formula, and never had cereal before either, I would not recommend trying them combined for baby's first cereal feeding. If baby has a reaction, you won't know if it was from the formula or the cereal?? If you can pump or hand express a little breast milk, I would recommend using that for baby's first cereal feeding. You won't need much... that first feeding of cereal should be a pretty small portion. At this age, you should try to introduce 1 new food at a time, if possible...

A second option is to just mix the cereal with water... turns out, my DD ate cereal better when it was mixed with just water, instead of mama milk or formula...

Good luck mama
    Buff

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I hope you get this in time - I tried doing that very thing and my lo broke out in contact rash on her face. B/C she'd never had either, we didn't know if it was the cereal or the formula. Mix the cereal with EBM for now and then try it with formula later. HTH.

ETA. I had the same reasons as you for introducing formula - JIC we needed it. Turns out we NEVER needed the formula and you may not, either.