Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby does not stop nursing...ever

Default baby does not stop nursing...ever

3 months old, she seems to want to nurse nonstop to the point of vomiting. the problem is if I let her, she vomits and all of her feed,
    comfort nursing / growth spurt or baby does not realize she is full...
    she doesnt know what to do with pacifiers...
    and oh she never sleeps....

if I stop her from nursing she can go 3-4 hrs without nursing. This baby is an enigma

Default Re: baby does not stop nursing...ever

A lot of babies this young are serious spitters. I'm not talking that little bit of cute spoting, but a serious amount that seems to flow from their mouth/nose. My son was a serious spitter and it was just his thing. It never seemed to bother him, so I never let it bother me. Is your daughter more of a big spitter or a true vomiter? Is she upset when this happens? Only you know your baby best, if you think she done nursing at any one time, then feel free to take her off. If she's fine with this, and of course a good # of wet and poopy diapers and growing well, then so be it. You might also want to try to put her on the "emptier" side if you think she just wants to comfort nurse. This will give her the opportunity to nurse and not get as much milk. It will also slow down your milk production.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    3 months old, she seems to want to nurse nonstop to the point of vomiting. the problem is if I let her, she vomits and all of her feed,
    comfort nursing / growth spurt or baby does not realize she is full...
    she doesnt know what to do with pacifiers...
    and oh she never sleeps....

if I stop her from nursing she can go 3-4 hrs without nursing. This baby is an enigma
    Would you mind clarifying just a bit so we can maybe give you some better answers?

How often during the day does she nurse? During the night? Measure the time from the start of one nursing session to the start of the next. Is she actively nursing that whole time, or does she comfort suck but isn't actually swallowing the whole time?

The reason I ask, is that for an exclusively breasfed 3 mos. old baby, going 3-4 hours without nursing is a very long time. I'd wager to bet that while maybe a few can do that, that most are probably nursing every 2-2.5 hours, maybe some more often during a growth spurt. Every 3-4 hours would be normal for a formula fed baby, but breastmilk digests much quicker. Sometimes within an hour even.

To give you an idea of what that might look like, it would be totally normal for you to start feeding baby at 8am and for the nursing session to take 30 minutes or so, and then for her to need to nurse again at 10am...or a little before or after. That would be 2 hours start to start roughly. Lots of times though, babies will start to nurse almost nonstop in the evening. It's almost like they like to fill up so they can start to learn to have a little longer stretch of sleep during the night. I myself had many of those times with my boys, where it seemed like they'd be attached there all evening.

From what you mentioned, I'm wondering if reflux/GERD would also be something you might want to look up, given the excessive spitting up/vomitting and poor sleep. Or perhaps colic? Though I think you'd have mentioned excessive crying with that.

When my baby was that age, he would eat about every 2 hours. And at night, there were days when it was every hour. Mostly, that was because he was "tanking up" for the night. A very common thing for babies of that age.

I would look into the possibilty of reflux. Some people find that small amounts of medication work well.

You are doing a great thing by BFding your baby. I know it is hard now, but it gets easier as time goes on. I formula fed my first and I am breastfeeding now. This is WAY easier than bottles!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.