Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: night weaning age?

Default Re: night weaning age?

DS was night weaned consistently by 9 months, but I used a paci and he didn't co-sleep, which I know is different from many others here. Starting at about 6 months he only woke once per night. I would go in and give him his paci and pat him a little. Sometimes this worked and he would go back to sleep, sometimes he would cry again and then I would feed him. Soon he was able to find his paci himself, and sometimes I would hear him cry for all of 20 seconds before it was obvious he found it and had gone back to sleep. Since about 9 months he has pretty much slept from 7:30 PM to 7:30 AM and on the odd time that he does wake, I use other methods to comfort him.
    Last edited by @llli*sbrudolph; July 23rd, 2008 at 09:22 AM.

My lo nightweaned herself around 4 mths. She just didn't get up at night for several weeks and then one night she woke up and didn't even ask for milk. My dh and I soothed her back to sleep and she just didn't nurse at night after that. That's not to say that she never woke up though but it was usually only 2-3 times per week and after 11 mths (she's 15 mths now), she isn't up at all. I do feel lucky but how can I take credit for it, she just didn't get up to eat! Also, she is a horrible napper so it is always something, lol!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

I will add that I totally agree every child is different. Last night my 4 month old slept from 10:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. BTW we co-sleep with her and did not with DD1 (who was an avid night nurser), so I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on