Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Failure to thrive???

Default Re: Failure to thrive???

It IS difficult to get them to nurse well as they get older. Try a dark room with no distractions. Keep it quiet. ALWAYS do this before offering solid foods. Breastmilk should be the main food for the first year. So for the first year, breast before solids. If he doesn't want to nurse, the solids have to wait until he does nurse well. Breast milk has more calories and fat than most foods. (avocado is loaded with calories and fats, though! That is a good one to encourage!) I wouldn't do the rice cereal as that doesn't have many calories or much nutrition. Stick with fruits and veggies AFTER nursing. Co-sleeping also encourages them to nurse more well during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irish7eyes7 View Post
    Thanks! Where do I get Teff flour? Is it usually in the grocery store or do I need to go to Whole Foods or somewhere like that?

This is great. Keep the info coming.
    The packaging is Bob's Red Mill - I can always find it at Whole Foods although you might be able to find it at other groceries in the natural foods section. Also, you can order direct from Bob's Red Mill on line and that's a little cheaper than buying at a store.

ETA: Whole teff is wonderfully nutritious and can be cooked up as breakfast cereal similar to malt o meal or grits. I like it more than most other breakfast cereals because the protein content is so much higher than in most breakfast cereals. Also, it is gluten free, for those who need to be careful about such things. Bob's Red Mill carries the whole grain also.

~~ Meri
    Last edited by @llli*eema.gray; July 25th, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

When I looked at the WHO growth chart for boys it seems he's below the standard, but if the curves were standard deviations then the 6mo. and 9mo. would both be about one standard deviation below. The important thing being they would be on the same curve not dropping 2 or more curves. So relieved. DH was like, so what? The Dr. is still going to want to see a tall and heavy baby, but I will gladly print off the chart and take it to the Dr.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the responses.
    Oh, and DS seemed to really like the avacado banana when I pureed it, so I guess it was a texture issue the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hoping.onthird View Post
    When I looked at the WHO growth chart for boys it seems he's below the standard, but if the curves were standard deviations then the 6mo. and 9mo. would both be about one standard deviation below. The important thing being they would be on the same curve not dropping 2 or more curves. So relieved. DH was like, so what? The Dr. is still going to want to see a tall and heavy baby, but I will gladly print off the chart and take it to the Dr.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the responses.
    Oh, and DS seemed to really like the avacado banana when I pureed it, so I guess it was a texture issue the first time.
    I will be printing off the chart and bringing it to my doctor as well at our 12 month appointment, since my son is growing perfectly on that curve. My doctor had expressed worry at my son's weight gain, and he's not particularly small at 19lbs or so now, but he just isn't growing like the CDC charts, which were designed with data predominantly from formula fed babies. However, my FIL is a pediatrician and he says that he didn't find my son's growth pattern worrying. Good luck to you at your next appointment.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine