Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure to thrive???

Default Re: Failure to thrive???

Think I lost what I typed. Try again. Have to leave the house soon again. Unfortunately won't get the weights on yet--sorry.

Thanks for the info on fats. I guess I knew that, it just seemed like an odd request vs. just nursing more or even the avacados (now that I now about them).
    Thanks for all the links ladies!

I miss our first pediatrician with our first LO. He really suggested breast or bottle for the first year. We lived away from family then too. It also helped that she had no interest in spoon or finger foods. DS has been very interested.

UGH. Out of time. Thanks so much.

In reading all of the posts, it seems that a few of the pp's are under the impression that you are not nursing at all. It look like your LO is nursing 4xs a day and then several times at night? As others suggested, upping nursing and offering high fat foods are probably your best options.

I'm having the same trouble with my LO, except she was born small (4lbs 7oz) and is growing but staying small. She loves food and nursing, but she's getting so distractible these days that I feel like I have to trick her into actually nursing and not just playing!
    Last edited by @llli*bakelite; July 24th, 2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo!
    new mom to yael justine, born 12/20/07 4lbs 7oz

cloth diapers all the way!

How big are you and DH? If you are small, genetically speaking, your ds will most likely be small, too. I like the way our ped put it with my dd1. For the first 6 months, it's nutrition (BF) driving the stats (height/weight), then the GENES kick in! I'm short at 5'2" and my DH is tall at 6'2", however, we believe he had constitutional growth delay (where he didn't reach full maturity/height until his early 20's). Regardless, I only skimmed through some of this, but I didn't see it mentioned how tall you and your DH are - or how you are built - thin or not. KWIM?

Oh, and yes dairy sensitive, not lactose sensitive. Thanks for catching that. I always forget to say it the right way.

My husband and I are on the shorter end. I'm 5'4", and he's 5'9". We've both been thin for only a few years in our life, otherwise average to heavy. My only siblings, brothers, are both quite thin, though one quite tall over 6' and the other quite short, guessing about 5'7". The one tidbit the doctor mentioned was that one ear had quite a bit of wax, and he suggested that we do saline flushes at home. I got to wondering today if that might play ino this at all. In talking with my mom today, she said that my brother that is short, was also very active with one very waxy ear.

Ack. Need to get lunch together, and then hopefully get his weights up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hoping.onthird View Post
    In talking with my mom today, she said that my brother that is short, was also very active with one very waxy ear.
    I think this is very important information. My brother was always very small - short and very thin - not now Anyway, so is his first son - exact same build. They (bro and SIL) are worried, but my mom said my bro was the exact same. Don't discount genetics - and bon apetite!

I've misfiled or lost several of the dr. office visit sheets, but I had many weights on the home calendar.

Birth 9lb2oz
    2 wk 9lb2oz (not sure what the low point was)
    10wk 12lb6oz
    12wk 13lb2oz
    14wk 13lb6oz
    16wk 14lb10oz
    18wk 14lb13oz
    21wk 15lb4oz (we were traveling on the 20th wk)
    22wk 15lb6oz
    24wk 15lb15oz
    6mo 15lb8-11oz (my weight not theirs)
    9mo 17lb5oz (their weight not mine)

After 6mo we gave our baby scale to our niece as their baby was born with health issues about then and struggled to gain weight. So he is still gainingl we still haven't met double of birthweight which I suspect was what they were hoping to see. Thanks everyone for your help and support. I definitely think learning about my brother was helpful. We did try avacado yesterday. He wasn't overly pleased about it, even with banana mixed in. I might try puree'ing it next time. I ended up feeding him 2 cheerios after the later bites to get him to swallow, even had a cup of ebm (which he dribbled making me all but cry over the precious substance). I have been trying to nurse him more often, but he refuses the extra feedings even with decreasing the spoon feedings. He'll take just a sip or two and then pulls off, but I guess that's a subject for a different subforum.

I actually think your son's wt gain looks great. My DS was 18.8 at his 1 yr.; He's in something like the 2nd percentile. I don't even care about that. He is super active. It is VERY normal for a bf baby's weight gain to slow down after six months.

You could definently increase nursing. Giving juice seemed is a rediculous idea. It is just empty calories and wouldn't help him gain wt at all. I doubt you need to use formula.

As for solids avocado's are great. Adding dairy fat - not a good idea if you have a hx of allergies. What about using good oils - olive, coconut etc. Mixing it in his food, cooking with it. I see he is eating cherrios, is he doing any other table foods or just purrees?

You are doing a great job!

I understand what you're going through. As you can see by my signature, DD is very tiny and barely grew at all in the last 3 months. She has completely fallen off the growth charts (and her own curve). However, she is develpmentally normal, talks a lot and is running around the house. She is also a good eater. My husband and I are both fairly small people so it's no surprise she's tiny. Despite all of this, I continue to worry about her growth. Her Dr. isn't worried about it, but I am. So, I have been searching for high-fat healthy foods to feed her. Here's what I've found so far.

1. avocado (everybody says avocado...)
    2. coating everything with olive oil
    3. DD loves pancakes, but I guess we will start serving them with butter
    4. eggs (DD is over 1 year and hasn't had an egg at all, but I guess we'll start)
    5. cream soups
    6. macaroni and cheese (make it with la lot of butter and whole milk)
    7. steamed potstickers (They sell them frozen at Sam's club. They're greasy, have ground chicken, veggies and are wrapped in dough. DD loves them and they really are fattening. They are also soft when steamed and great for LO's without teeth)
    8. High fat cheese

My biggest struggle is that DH and I have a very lowfat diet and it kills me to feed DD all this fat, but I just keep reminding myself it's for her brain. I also have to keep reminding myself not to have a taste of her food or I'll be packing on the pounds along with her.

I would love it if people would keep adding to this thread with high fat foods so there's some variety.
    Mommy to 2 beautiful girls!
    DD1
    7-16-07 (birth) 6lb 8oz 19 in
    1-25-08 (6 mo) 14lb 2oz 25.5 in
    4-25-08 (9 mo) 16lb 0oz 27.5 in
    7-21-08 (12 mo) 16lb 8oz 27.75 in
    BF until 2 years old and still a peanut!
    DD2
    4-30-10 (birth) 6lb 11oz 18 in
    7-02-10 (2 mo) 11lb 0oz 21 in
    9-07-10 (4 mo) 12lb 13oz 24.75 in
    2-04-11 (9 mo) 13lb 8oz 27 in
    and at work

and at home and daycare

<< 3. DD loves pancakes, but I guess we will start serving them with butter >>

You can boost the nutritional value of pancakes with teff flour. Teff is high in protein, iron, amino acids, and a bunch of other things. If you're using store-bought mix, reduce the mix by 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup teff flour. The pancakes have a slight molasses flavor and are deceptively fluffy: The suckers are filling!

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

Thanks! Where do I get Teff flour? Is it usually in the grocery store or do I need to go to Whole Foods or somewhere like that?

This is great. Keep the info coming.
    Mommy to 2 beautiful girls!
    DD1
    7-16-07 (birth) 6lb 8oz 19 in
    1-25-08 (6 mo) 14lb 2oz 25.5 in
    4-25-08 (9 mo) 16lb 0oz 27.5 in
    7-21-08 (12 mo) 16lb 8oz 27.75 in
    BF until 2 years old and still a peanut!
    DD2
    4-30-10 (birth) 6lb 11oz 18 in
    7-02-10 (2 mo) 11lb 0oz 21 in
    9-07-10 (4 mo) 12lb 13oz 24.75 in
    2-04-11 (9 mo) 13lb 8oz 27 in
    and at work

and at home and daycare