Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesh Feeder ?

Default Mesh Feeder ?

I was just curious...
    What are your thoughts on the feeder?
    What are the best foods to put in the feeder?
    When do you introduce the feeder in the introducing solids process?

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of

Default Re: Mesh Feeder ?

We loved ours. We didn't use it a lot, but it was very handy for the times we did. We usually put canteloupe, apple, watermelon, etc. in it. When he first started solids and loved banana and avocado together, but couldn't pick them up because of the slickness (we tried coating them in crushed O's but he didn't like that), the feeder was great--we could put a little banana and a little avocado in and he could easily manage it. I will say, though, that banana is probably the worst thing to try to clean out of it (that we tried).

the only thing I put in ours is an ice cube when she is teething (although we have been teething a while and still don't have any teeth)!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

we don't have a dish washer so I skipped one with my dd..
    my older kids they didn't have such a thing.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My thoughts are...

Do what YOU want to do. If you are curious...try it. If your kid likes it and you are comfortable with it...WHO am I to say that its bad or wrong?

So...give it a whirl. We put frozen peaches in ours, banana, strawberries, canteloupe...just about anything you can think of, we tried. We didn't use it a lot...but like Paula said...the times we did use it, we really liked it!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We used it at restaurants instead of at home. It kept him busy and kept the floor relatively clean.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

We only used one for "mom-scicles" of frozen breastmilk when DS was teething.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

DD is teething so sometimes I'll put a little chunk of frozen banana in ours... but we just recently started trying that. She goes crazy for it.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thanks for the link to the previous posts, only.woman.in.the.house. I didn't realize there was any controversy about the feeders. I also thought they were choke-proof. Does anyone have anymore info about them as choking hazards?

We used our mesh feeder for momsicles when dd was teething, so it seemed only natural to put a banana into it when she'd turned six months and was frantic for our food to see how she'd do with it. She's also had avocado, rice, and chicken in it.

I've also given her fry sized pieces of banana to gum on, carrot sticks, cheerios... The day before yesterday she choked on a cheerio which was pretty scary. We were at a restaurant and she was strapped into a high chair when she started choking. MIL freaked out and tried to pull her straight up out of the high chair without unsnapping her first. The chair banged into the table, dd yelped with fright and dislodged the cheerio. All's well that ends well! But now I'm scared about choking.