Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk?

Default How much milk?

I EP, so my 9 month old son is bottle-fed breastmilk. Recently he is having a bout of teething (molars!) and he has an aversion to the bottle. However, he does love solids. He has 3 meals a day (bananas, quinoa, peas, apricots, cherries, blueberries, yogurt...) plus brown rice puffs, cheese and pieces of melon for snacks. My question is, how many ounces a day does he need minimum for milk? We offer him the bottle constantly, but he only eats an ounce at a time most of the day, and then near the end of the day we will finally be able to get more down him. Today he had 21 ounces, and 15 of that was between 4pm and 8pm. Is that enough for him at this age?

His last bout of teething we withheld solids to try to get him to take more milk, but it didn't really help him drink more, and just caused him to be crankier.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: How much milk?

Here is a great link from Kellymom: How much expressed milk will my baby need?

Sometime between six months and a year (as solids are introduced and slowly increased) baby's milk intake may begin to decrease, but breastmilk should provide the majority of baby's nutrition through the first year. Because of the great variability in the amount of solids that babies take during the second six months, the amount of milk will vary, too. One study found average breastmilk intake to be 30 oz per day (875 ml/day; 93% of total intake) at 7 months and 19 oz (550 ml/day; 50% of total energy intake) at 11-16 months.
    So 21oz sounds fine with 3 meals a day

*the link has much more info than just the quote I posted.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; July 22nd, 2008 at 07:11 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

my ped told me around that age 18-22 oz of milk
    you sound right on target
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

sounds just like DD!!!! She isn't interested in milk really during the day and she snacks on it....she eats 3 meals a day as well. Most of her milk comes at the end of the day between 6-8!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    sounds just like DD!!!! She isn't interested in milk really during the day and she snacks on it....she eats 3 meals a day as well. Most of her milk comes at the end of the day between 6-8!
    Maybe they decide it's time to store up before going to bed? Hmmm. Weird.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I think you are ok. They should get about 24 oz and you are so close to that. Why mess with it if they are teething... Maybe try a sippy cup if they really don't like the bottle anymore? Kuddo's to you for EPing... I am EPing for my first for almost 3 years, it is a lot of work!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Gooey.RN View Post
    I think you are ok. They should get about 24 oz and you are so close to that. Why mess with it if they are teething... Maybe try a sippy cup if they really don't like the bottle anymore? Kuddo's to you for EPing... I am EPing for my first for almost 3 years, it is a lot of work!
    Oh yeah, we tried a sippy. He's not nuts about it. We're trying to get him used to one.

Wow, 3 years.
    Beth