Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the importance of sucking?..and other questions

Default the importance of sucking?..and other questions

I am ready to slowly wean my dd.... she's 11 months, so hopefully we can be weened a little after her first b-day.

I have a few questions concerning weening an exclusively bf baby:

1. Do babies still have an intense need to suck even after a year? If so, do you try to introduce a pacifier to a one year old... or are there any other suggestions? Would I be hurting her in some way (emotionally, etc...) if I took away her only known source of sucking? .. or maybe all babies are different and some don't need to suck and some do?

2. Should and could I begin introducing cows milk? Is cows milk healthy for a one year old to drink throughout the day?....as she isn't a big solid food eater yet. She just picks off our plates throughout the day.

3. Any ideas or links to some healthy solid foods for 1yos? I seem to struggle for ideas on what to make for her... causing it to be harder to ween her. Bm is always ready and healthy!!

I am definitely going to take this slow and will make it as easy on her as possible. I just need a little guidance on how exactly to do this.

Thank you everyone in advance.

Default Re: the importance of sucking?..and other questions

I don't have any actual experience with this as I'm still nursing my only DS, but I think I have some good resources that could help you. I have two great cookbooks that include meals for babies as well as older children: First Meals and SuperFoods for Babies and Children (both by Annabel Karmel). They have some GREAT ideas for healthy foods as well as info about nutrition. For weaning, I strongly recommend The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning by Kathleen Huggins. It is broken down into age categories and is very baby friendly. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, i will look into those books, I know they'll be very helpful!

I was still wondering about the need for sucking, after a year, does anyone know?

Alissa,
    Have you considered continuing to nurse your dd just a little bit?
    You could start to introduce more solid foods so that her calories are being met that way and she would need to nurse less. And yes, at 1 year you can introduce cow's milk. Goat's milk is actually closer to human breastmilk and easier on their digestive system if you have access to it. If not, then introduce cow's milk in small amounts at first to see how she does with it.

Since you've gone this long without using a paci, I would really try to avoid it. Maybe prior to bedtime or nap time, and when she first wakes up you could nurse her and continue this for as long as she needs. You may find she just weans on her own, or she may enjoy this for awhile. Otherwise, she can get most of her nutrition from food and cow or goat's milk.

You may find as you are weaning slowly, that you want to continue nursing just this little bit so just take it a day at a time and see what happens. It's really so unpredictable that it's hard to say what your dd will do. And if you find that she has an intense need to suck, you *could* offer the paci if you really felt like you needed to, but I just really don't recommend it. Seems I read somewhere that the need to suck is gone by 1 yr. of age, but I can't say for sure and don't remember where I read it.

Good luck! Your lo is a cutie pie.

mom23:

thank you so much for your reply it was very helpful.

Smile Re: the importance of sucking?..and other questions

I'm new to the site and am also in the process of weaning my son "Max" who'll be one in a few weeks. I appreciate the site for allowing us to share our concerns and to freely ask questions. I'd like to say that I am finding it more difficult for myself to actually go thru with the weaning. It's been three days so far. I've allowed Max to breastfeed only during the night. He doesn't sleep thru the night, so at least twice during the night, he gets breastfed. It's not even "good eating", he'll eat for a minute and fall back asleep.
    I wonder how long I'll have to "relieve the pressure" to keep from being uncomfortably engorged? A few days? A week or two?
    I had originally planned on weaning my son by the time he turned one, and have found it to be harder than I thought to actually do it. It's hard on the both of us. I had no idea that I would feel this way. It's rather amazing how breastfeeding strengthens/ builds such a strong bond between mother and child. But, I look forward to moving forward and bonding in other ways as Max grows older.