Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doc orders formula

Default Re: Doc orders formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wild.spirit View Post
    Thank you, I appreciated all your suggestions.
    I'm still puzzled, however, about one thing. If the baby is satisfied after a feeding, then should I be feeding a bottle after that feeding, even if the scales say he didn't eat much, because he nurses often, with a lot of comfort nursing as well. He got into the habit while we were working on establishing a supply. He used to act hungry late afternoon, and I would give him a bottle after he nursed, but he has stopped that now, and is just so content and happy all the time. I've always understood that a hungry baby was cranky, and didn't sleep well.
    One other question, I know that drugs and alcohol retard a babies growth during the pregnancy, could this be an ongoing factor?

Are you keeping a daily log? Normally I wouldn't suggest watching the clock, but perhaps taking note of when he nurses, and for how long. This may give you a better idea of his eating habits (also it will give you something tangible to show the doctor). Perhaps he's only eating for a few minutes, but has 14 feedings a day, kwim?

Have you tried offering the breast when he isn't showing signs of hunger? This may encourage him to eat more

About the drugs/alcohol question, yes, it's possible for drugs/alcohol ingested during pregnancy to have a continued effect on a child. However, has the baby been diagnosed with FAS or anything related to that?

It may just be that she is tiny, and will always have a smaller stature Do you know the "size" of her parents? (tiny-framed adults produce tiny framed babies )

ETA - the most imporant thing is that she is "thriving". You want her to be healthy and happy.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: Doc orders formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wild.spirit View Post
    If the baby is satisfied after a feeding, then should I be feeding a bottle after that feeding, even if the scales say he didn't eat much, because he nurses often, with a lot of comfort nursing as well.
    That would depend on how many ounces the scale showed were taken in the feeding session, whether or not you'd describe that session as a typical full nursing session, and how many times per day baby nursed.

I think for reference, that most bf babies take in a 3-4 ounce bottle every 2-3 hours while they're away from mom... or 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour while away from mom. I'm not a doctor, but I'd guess, that if the scales showed figures similar to that, and baby was eating enough times per day, that the doc would think that was ok.

I did read somewhere, that while it's very rare, there are a few physical issues that can impact the quality of a mom's milk ....I think they're extreme situations though, maybe malnutrition of the mother, anorexia or bulimia in the mom, extremely poor diet, anemia....that kind of thing. I'm sure you'd know if you had any of those problems though

I also know, that it is possible for a very rare amount of kids to just not want to eat often enough and to still be content and happy. My mil started out breastfeeding my dh's brother, and from what she said, she had a plentiful milk supply, but he just wouldn't eat enough, and was still content and happy. She said it really was concerning her, and she's a nurse and knew what the signs of a healthy baby who was eating enough were, and that it was part of the reason she decided not to breastfeed my dh because she was scared of that a 2nd time around. Dumb, I know, but to this day she still doesn't know why she couldn't get dh's brother to bf enough to keep him healthy. She ended up being forced to wean by her doctor due to a horrible case of mastitis. You know though, she very well have had the same issue with my dh too. Even as an adult, he'd go all day and not even know he didn't eat at all for a whole day until he got hungry at night. It's really weird I think the only reason he eats since we got married, is that I grew up in a household where meals were at regular times so he expects them now