Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc orders formula

Default Doc orders formula

I'm so frustrated I could scream.....For those of you who don't know my story, I adopted a 6 week old baby and began working on building a milk supply about 3 months ago. After much work and worry, we have got to the point to where we are now and are not supplementing at all. Today I went for a weigh in as my doc was worried about milk production, and he is now telling me "I want you go go back to supplementing"
    Baby is happy, content, peeing buckets, sleeping, and most importantly, acting content after a feeding. Here are his weights.....what do you think?
    Birth-6.13
    June 10-10.6
    June 17-11.1 (growth spurt or faulty scales????)
    July 22-11.4

Default Re: Doc orders formula

After all your hard work that would be difficult to hear from your dr. It sounds like you are pretty comfortable that the baby is getting enough. If your baby did really only gain .3 pounds in a little over a month, I can understand your dr's concern. At the same time, you do kind of have to wonder if those are all correct weights. Could you maybe push for another weight check in a week to see how things are going then rather than starting to supplement right away?

Another option might be renting a scale so you can track feeding amounts for a few days. This might help reassure your dr. that your lo is getting enough.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Here is a link to some information from www.kellymom.com regarding weight gain:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

I second getting a scale and weighing baby to closely track his weight gain. I know some hospitals/doctor offices will let you come in and weigh baby yourself if you would rather do that than purchase a scale.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I may be wrong, but I've always understood that the best way to judge how much a breastfed baby is getting is by the number of diapers. If your lo is peeing and pooing enough, and it sounds like that's the case, then you probably have nothing to worry about.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

I would second what other posters have said and either rent a scale or go in for another weight check.
    My LO was a preemie and at her first pediatrician visit the nurse weighed her as 10 ounces more than her discharge weight (which was only two days previously). We thought it was VERY odd that she could have gained so much (even factoring in that different scales were used), then the next week (when they weighed her accurately - in my opinion) it looked as though she had lost weight. My point is, that I think sometimes the people doing the weighing may not be as focussed as they should be, and it may be inaccurate. Maybe the 'growth spurt' weigh in wasn't accurate and your LO is actually steadily gaining.
    I'd pay the co-pay to get your baby weighed and talk to your Dr again - especially after all of your hard work.

Babies r us sells a nice one for $60 that is battery operated.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

I will also suggest renting a scale. Medela scales are the most accurate and you can rent it from a place where there are lactation consultants for like $2 a day.

my doc was always concerned about ds's weight.....it seemed to me that depending on what room we were in the numbers were waaaay off....one day, i made them weigh him on 3 different scales....when we are talking about flipping out about ounces a scale that is almost 1/2 pound off makes a BIG difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bless.bee View Post
    my doc was always concerned about ds's weight.....it seemed to me that depending on what room we were in the numbers were waaaay off....one day, i made them weigh him on 3 different scales....when we are talking about flipping out about ounces a scale that is almost 1/2 pound off makes a BIG difference!!
    I'd also suggest, that if you're at an appointment, and the weight just seems off, that you INSIST that the doctor himself/herself weighs your child again on the same scale that was used the last time you were there. My oldest is only 5, but there've been probably been 5 times between the 2 of my kids where I was positive that the nurse misread the scale, because I saw what it said, or I knew she hadn't waited long enough bcse she was in a rush, or new she hadn't zeroed the scale first. My kids' height has also been misread by nurses more than a few times.

In fact, if the doc ever suggests that there's an issue with weight, even if you don't think the nurse was wrong, I'd INSIST that the doc takes you back to the same scale as the visit before and re-weighs baby again. Even when a nurse forgets to zero the scale, weight can be off by enough to matter when weight issues are a concern.

Thank you, I appreciated all your suggestions.
    I'm still puzzled, however, about one thing. If the baby is satisfied after a feeding, then should I be feeding a bottle after that feeding, even if the scales say he didn't eat much, because he nurses often, with a lot of comfort nursing as well. He got into the habit while we were working on establishing a supply. He used to act hungry late afternoon, and I would give him a bottle after he nursed, but he has stopped that now, and is just so content and happy all the time. I've always understood that a hungry baby was cranky, and didn't sleep well.
    One other question, I know that drugs and alcohol retard a babies growth during the pregnancy, could this be an ongoing factor?