Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Attempting relactation...ouch!

Default Attempting relactation...ouch!

I have been exclusively nursing DD from my left side since the day she was born. I had a horrible, horrible mastitis experience with DS#2 on my right side, so I was terrified to attempt using it again. Everything is going well, and she get all the food she needs from the one side. However, I am about to back to work (teacher, off for the summer!), only to find all of my milk is gross due to excessive lipase. Now I have to rebuilt my stock. What better way than to bring milk back on the right side, right? I am working with my LC to do this, she can't wait to see how it goes!

So, anyway, sorry to ramble...I'll get to the point...I had my DD latch on to the right side today, and of course she did because she is an avid breastfeeder, only to find that her strong suck was OUCH!

How long with this last? Will pumping help "prep" it? I had a love-hate relationship with a nipple shield for 7 weeks, and I don't want to go there again!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Default Re: Attempting relactation...ouch!

Is her latch good? It's sore not painful?

If it's sore that's normal, pumping might help some but it's not like a baby at all! If it's really painful then keep trying to get it comfortable for you, you might have to try some different positioning. Keep an eye on it to make sure and prevent cracking and bleeding! You might have to take it slow and do a bit of relearning on that side.

Hope it goes well for you guys! Have you seen the thread about scalding your milk due to lipase? It's here!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

It's more sore, like not used to that kind of suction sore. I don't think it is poor latch, but she wasn't on very long. I would hope that would be corrected by now!

I did find the lipase thread, thanks! I just scalded my first batch (all 2.5 ounces) tonight! I think I did it right, but it seemed there were so many ways to accomplish this.

thanks!
    EDD 6/21/10
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

I was just wondering how you were comming along?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Congrats on your progress!

Ugh, the pain is making me lazy in attempting to relactate. My LC says if I just makes sure her latch is good, the pain should do away and the milk should come back fairly quickly. I haven't tried in a couple of days, but I am going to start again tomorrow! I may just try to pump and see if that does anything...
    EDD 6/21/10
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

I will be thinking of you!
    Sending your way!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz