Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lopsided at 12.5 months

Question Lopsided at 12.5 months

I have been trying to even out (right side smaller than left) for a few months now with no success. I still nurse primarily on demand since i work from home, and whle my daughter has no real preference, my right side hasn't had much to offer in a while. why did this happen? and how can i even back out without waiting to wean?

please help

Default Re: Lopsided at 12.5 months

You say you have been trying to even out for awhile with no success, so you may have already tried this--

Nurse on the right side first with every feeding. When the milk flow slows, you can try breast compressions to help empty the breast completely (cup breast with your hand, when active sucking stops, squeeze your breast and hold it-hopefully you'll see active sucking start again-when active sucking stops again, release the sqeeze allowing milk flow again from other ducks, when active sucking stops again rotate your hand slightly and repeat). Try to encourage her to nurse from that breast as much as possible.

thank you so much, that is a new approach, so i will try it.
    also, are there really benefits to the teas and herbs that i've heard about?

Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle have both been shown to increase milk supply, and I know many mothers who have used them effectively. I personally have used Fenugreek and it definitely helped. I think there are others that different women use as well, but I am not familiar with them. Herbs and teas with likely increase supply in both breasts, though, not just one. Do you feel you have an overall supply issue?

no i don't have an overall supply problem, though a boost wouldn't hurt. if i were to combine the herbs with the extra time on the smaller breast, could that even me out?

i could always epress the larger side to prevent any engorgement, until i level off, right?