Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking About Giving Up....

Default Thinking About Giving Up....

Ladies I am considering giving up on trying to relactate. My DS is so high needs and he cries all the time. I am lucky if I get to pump two or 3 times during the day because he doesnt take naps. Or if he does nap, it's for 30 min and by the time I'm set up with my snack and drink and set up to pump, he's screaming again. I just can't find the time to fit it into my day unless I let him scream his head off for 20 min 8 times a day. And I can't find it in my heart to just let him scream while I'm pumping. For one, I can't relax when he's screaming while I pump. And every day from 4pm on til he goes to bed is nothing but a screamfest! And he already on the anti-colic formula so I don't know what to do.

I am really discouraged and just about done trying. I mean, how far am I really going to get if I can only pump a handful of times a day? Not far at all. I cluster pump at night but it's not making a difference and I just end up really sore from pumping for 30 min every hour.

I feel like such a failure. I didn't even give it much of a try.. I mean, I did but I can't just let him cry. I can't do it.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Felicia

Default Re: Thinking About Giving Up....

Hi Felicia,
    You are really dealing with alot - as we were discussing in another thread yesterday. I think you are wise to keep in mind all of the various factors at play here and whatever you decide to do, please be OK with your choices and know how hard you have tried. Anyone who tries this hard and cares so much can NEVER be considered a failure. Please find it in your heart and soul to praise yourself and to recognize that you are a good, loving and dedicated mother. I really really hope that as you get some relief from the PPD that this negativity will ease. Do you have anyone local/in person that you can talk to to get some additional support? I'm not a relactating mom, so I hope I'm not overstepping by answering your post here -- but I do care and do want to see you feeling better.

You can never feel bad - deep in your heart - for making the difficult choices that one has to make as a parent. In an ideal world, we'd all have things go differently, but the plain truth is that we have to deal with the cards we are dealt as best as we can. Be ok with doing that and please, take care of yourself.
    -linda