Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help weaning 16 month old

Default need help weaning 16 month old

i have been thinking about weaning for a while now, and i think it's time.

only problem is, i don't know where to start. i go on a weekend trip (away from my son) in 3 weeks. it will be the first time i'll be away from him for more than 8 hours. PapaT will be at home with him, but i know it will be difficult b/c he nurses at night.

so that is another reason i would like to wean before the trip, to make their lives easier.

right now he nurses about twice a day and then night nurses. my supply has also gotten significantly lower in the past couple of weeks.

any suggestions on what i can do? should i wean before the trip or use that time to wean? i just don't want it to be so difficult on them when i'm away.

thanks in advance!

Default Re: need help weaning 16 month old

Ending a 16-month nursing relayionship in three short weeks seems like it might be too traumatic for both of you. Can you try dropping his least favorie feeding and just see how it goes?

It will probably be a rough weekend for your boys, but I'm guessing nursing when you return will hep him feel reassured.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Wanted to add (after thinking back on my own situation) my DD weaned at 16.5 months, but she had been nursing on dry boobs for about 3 weeks due to my pregnancy. And she went from twice a day to once a day to being completely done in around 3 or 4 weeks, so I guess it's not impossible.

Usually, gradual weaning seems to be easier on everyone.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

thanks for your response! you are right, 3 weeks in kind of short. plus he is sick right now, so i am definitely not going to wean right now. i think i will just see how it goes. once he's better, i am either going to try to wean him from one daytime nursing like you suggested, or try to wean him from night nursings. i think it's possible.

if he is not fully weaned by the time i go on the trip, do i need to leave milk to give to him in a bottle/cup? my milk supply is lower now, i haven't pumped in a while, and honestly he never liked the bottle or taking bm other than from me. can he just go for a weekend with no bm and then resume when i return?