Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't want to post here yet :(

Default I don't want to post here yet :(

Last Thursday, Thomas woke and got into bed with me, as usual. Normally we snuggle, then nurse, and then snuggle and play before I get in the shower. Thursday we snuggled, and I asked if he was ready to nurse, at which point he normally grins and lunges for the boob, and he did briefly, then pulled off and said, "Water!" I gave him water.

Friday he did the same thing, so I gave him water.

Saturday when I asked, he said, "Noooooooooo." So I gave him water (per his request lol), and for the first time in his life, we only nursed once that day, before bedtime.

He nursed Sunday morning, but not a lot, though he indicated that he wanted to, so we did.

Today we were back to "WATER! WATER!", and he emptied his sippy cup in seconds, and snuggled before letting me know he was ready to get down and play.

I'm not sure what (if anything) I'm looking for by posting this; I guess just sharing it with people who understand how hard the letting-go is. We were already down to pretty much twice a day (by his choice; I was counting on going another year or so), so this will just leave once a day, and it's so sad for me. And I'm interested in what you ladies would do at this point--offering vs not offering--I don't want to push if he's ready to stop, but I don't want him to be ready to stop! (insert foot-stomping smiley )

Sorry for rambling! If you've read this far, I appreciate it.

Default Re: I don't want to post here yet :(

Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

That sounds tough, mama. I think I'd just make sure he knows it's available and follow his lead, as hard as it might be for you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

LOL on a funny note, he had a handful of O's Saturday afternoon, and was trying to decide where to put them. He looked around and dumped them down the front of my shirt. I'm still cleaning out crushed O's. I guess if it's not going to be used for nursing, he figures they'll make a good storage area!

"Here mom, make yourself useful."
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't think there's anything wrong with offering. As you've already seen, if that's not what he wants, he'll let you know.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Don't think that even if he goes thru a phase where he is down to once day, that it's over. He may just be busy and distracted. And him wanting and liking water is a wonderful thing. Many many reports here have shown children getting down to once day or even going a few days without and then still nursing. And Awnja was doing once a week on Sundays with her daughter for quite a few months. Don't feel bad about continuing to offer a child who is very busy and under two your breasts. They are literally the reason for the phrase "Out of sight out of mind". They have soooo much to do and see and experience and in the same way that they can be so upset they can't have something and then you ask them where their train is and they go running off to find it completely distracted, he may literally forget about your breasts. That is not to say he will not remember them with glee and assume the position when you offer. And anyways, if you offer and he refuses, then it's not forced. And even that doesn't mean don't offer again the next day.
    Nursing is a dance. If you aren't done dancing, there's no harm in asking your partner to continue. You can't pressure him into it and shouldn't worry about such things. He's comfortable telling you he's done after five seconds, he will be comfortable telling you no if the answer is no. Don't feel bad about working to keep it in his line of sights and don't think that is HAS to be over the 1st day he goes all day with out it.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you so much, Shelly--that really does make me feel better. I am definitely still offering! This morning he nursed briefly, and then just as you said, he was off to do something more interesting. I guess never having known anyone in person who's nursed as long as I have (and that's not long at all by my "new" standards lol), I've always pictured weaning as a fairly predictable reduction in number and frequency of nursing sessions, if that makes sense. It's very reassuring to hear that it doesn't have to be that way!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    Thank you so much, Shelly--that really does make me feel better. I am definitely still offering! This morning he nursed briefly, and then just as you said, he was off to do something more interesting. I guess never having known anyone in person who's nursed as long as I have (and that's not long at all by my "new" standards lol), I've always pictured weaning as a fairly predictable reduction in number and frequency of nursing sessions, if that makes sense. It's very reassuring to hear that it doesn't have to be that way!
    Well just remember that you have been weaning since the point where there has been 3 solid meals a day. Because solid food has replace those sessions. And the other thing is sometimes it's hard to feel flexible if you have been leading the way to eliminate other sessions and then the child take the lead. Because then what you pictured in your mind as far as pace can greatly change because children have no real concept of time. But if you continue to offer in the times that you feel comfortable nursing, the process can still be gradual albeit DIFFERENT than the path you imagined.

Way too lazy for formula