Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I've made my decision....

Default Re: I've made my decision....

What a big boy Z. is Katie. I'm so happy for you both- I bet if you keep up the 'special snack' the transition will continue smoothly.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Is it wrong that I just want someone to say:

'STOP! YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR SELFISH REASONS! YOU ARE FAILING YOUR CHILD! AGAIN! YOU SUCK! YOUR KIDS WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!'

Why do I think it would make me feel better to hear that?

Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Well, Katie, your reasons are selfish, I suppose, to some warped degree. I mean, I guess you should just suck up the pain and breastfeed Z whenever and wherever he wants you to. The pain isn't that bad, is it? While you're at it, suck it up and play with them, run with them, get up and down off the floor with them, even though it kills you to do so. That would be much better for them.

Seriously, you are a wonderful mom! They will both thank you for taking care of yourself!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*FluffyN View Post
    Is it wrong that I just want someone to say:

'STOP! YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR SELFISH REASONS! YOU ARE FAILING YOUR CHILD! AGAIN! YOU SUCK! YOUR KIDS WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!'

Why do I think it would make me feel better to hear that?

WHAT?!!! No way missy. Keep that mama guilt all to yourself because, let's think about what will happen if you don't do this. That picture ain't so pretty.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    Well, Katie, your reasons are selfish, I suppose, to some warped degree. I mean, I guess you should just suck up the pain and breastfeed Z whenever and wherever he wants you to. The pain isn't that bad, is it? While you're at it, suck it up and play with them, run with them, get up and down off the floor with them, even though it kills you to do so. That would be much better for them.

Seriously, you are a wonderful mom! They will both thank you for taking care of yourself!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Oh, Katie, I agree with Tiff and Erin.

And I missed your post yesterday about the snack.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I think I have something seriously hormonal going on. I am an emotional wreck. So far I am taking this waaaay worse than Zachary is.
    Katie

I think that can happen with any weaning, regardless of the circumstances, and your stress and guilt feelings must only add to that!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Oh Katie . I so wish I could give you a hug IRL.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Well, its over.

The last time Zachary nursed was on a Sunday morning almost 3 weeks ago. We'd been nursing just once a day for a week and he was doing well. He would wake up in the morning demanding milk, but not nurse for very long. I told him that day that he wouldn't be having milk in the morning anymore and that tomorrow we'd just get up and have breakfast instead. I don't know how much he understood, but I felt like I should give him some sort of advance warning so we'd been counting down for a few days.

The next morning Z woke up at 5am as usual. I thought that he might get upset if I brought him to bed with me but wouldn't nurse him so we got up and watched a few episodes of Blue's Clues (if there is anything he loves as much as he loved his milk its Blue's Clues) then had a big bowl of oatmeal and he was fine.

And, really, he's been fine ever since. He would ask for milk (still does occassionally) but didn't get hysterical when I told him no. It usually just means that he's not getting enough attention. I've been doing my best to make sure that he is getting lots and lots of fun and attention and love. I guess its working.

For a time while we were weaning, Z started to get very attached to routine - especially at night. He had a huge meltdown one night after we brought his "bus book" back to the library because we'd maxed out our renewals. Makes sense, right? He's clinging to the familiar - making sure we aren't planning on overturning his whole world. I thought we'd be ending up with another version of Morgan's 38 step bedtime routine - which gets old fast. But this week he seems more relaxed. At least he is letting me vary the books a bit. And he let us put his new train sheets on his crib. We tried a couple of weeks ago and he completely freaked out. Too much new.

I'm glad he seems to have come through this without too much damage. He's been going through a huge intellectual growth spurt at the same time - so many new words and skills - which is nice because I can see that he's going to keep growing up same as always. He's really becoming such a great little kid - I don't want to do anything to screw that up.

But I'm still kind of sad. I'm sad that weaning wasn't more of a mutual project. I'm sad that he won't remember nursing. I'm sad that he's missing out on the great nutrition just as M is going to start bringing home every germ imaginable from preschool. I'm sad that, once again, I couldn't meet my nursing goals. (Not that I had stated goals, but if I did one of them would have been NOT THIS.)

Its just a bummer of a situation all around but its done and its time to move on. I've been on the methotrexate for 2 weeks now but it won't start having any effect for about a month. I hope it kicks in quickly because I am really getting tired of being in pain all the time. The only thing it does so far is make me very very very very very very tired on Saturdays (I've been taking it on Thursday nights). I almost fell asleep on the grass at Morgan's soccer practice last week.

Thank you, llladies, for all the support you've given me through this. It has helped me so much to know that there are people who can understand a little bit how I feel. DH and my family have been supportive in their own way, but they just don't "get it" like you do. My MIL even told DH "you can't keep Zachary from being independent forever". DH was my and put her in her place, but...geez, whatever. She'll be visiting this weekend so she better keep it too herself because I am still on 20mg of prednisone and I will go all 'roid ragey on her!

So thats its. I'm not a nursing mom anymore. Z is not a nursing toddler. We're just a mom and a toddler. But thats okay. Zachary isn't dwelling on it, so I shouldn't either. There is a lot of fun to be had and a lot of new things to learn. Onward.
    Katie