Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've made my decision....

Unhappy I've made my decision....

This was a choice between two bad options - not treating a potentially disabling condition and weaning in order to medicate.

I going to go on the meds. I only lasted 3 months without any medication and the flare-ups make me very sick, very quickly. I can't take care of my family in this condition.

My rheumatologist wanted me on methotrexate today. I decided to start with a high dose of prednisone (a steriod) for now and to go back to her 8/14 for at MTX prescription.

So I have about a month to wean my milk-addict. I think my first step will be to go down to three times a day - morning, naptime, bedtime. After that I don't know. Maybe limit the time of each session? Drop them one at a time? I think the mornings will be hardest for both of us to let go of.

Last time I got sick I considered weaning pre-emptively. Doing it slowly over a long time so that there would be no chance of having to wean suddenly. Now it has and I kind of wish I had done that. My heart tells me that slow weaning earlier would have been easier on him than sudden weaning now. But I can't dwell on that.

I am devestated and angry and in physical pain on top of it. I feel terrible for doing this to my sweet boy. I hope he can handle it.

Any ideas on how to make the transistion with as little trauma as possible?
    TIA.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Default Re: I've made my decision....

All I have for you is and

Good luck mama

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I don't really have any advice. It sounds like you've got a pretty good plan, maybe you'll just have to take it day by day and see how it goes.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I know this was tough for you. You've given him such a wonderful gift thus far (have you seen this link )

I have a thought. I don't know much about the mxt, but if you were to have the am session linger longer, couldn't you take the med after he nursed in the am and then you'd have virtually 24 hours before he'd nurse again?

This is a weaning link from the LLL pages that might have something helpful to offer...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

that must be so tough! Have you read how weaning happens, that might be helpful. I would drop down to morn, noon and night and then go slowly from there. I would not shorten his length though. Just drop to that and then one feed at a time from there.

I am crying for you Katie because I know this was such a difficult choice to make. Your kids deserve a happy, healthy Mother who is not in pain every day.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I know you've struggled with this for a while, and I have such respect for you for making it as long as you have. I'm so sorry you had to make such a difficult decision.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Your kids deserve a happy, healthy Mother who is not in pain every day.

You will both make it through this just fine. From what I remember, your DH has been putting him to sleep these days, right? So nursing to sleep is definitely is one hurdle you wont have to cross.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

This has to be so hard for you but as pp said, your chilren need a happy healthy momma whose not in pain. He will get through this with your love and support! for all you've done thus far, that's no small hurdle!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."