Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to get him to nurse other then for comfort

Default how to get him to nurse other then for comfort

Hi. I am up to 8 or 9 oz of EBM a day . along with him nursing but only for comfort.

HE still WILL NOT nurse when I have milk in. He will only nurse AFTER I express it WHen I have milk he pulls and cries . I have tried when he was hungry and i have tried in the middle of his bottle as well. he does NOT want it. I guess maybe he only likes the hind milk? any ideas? anyone else experiance this?

I attempted to pump instead of hand express for the first time in weeks. it got some of the milk out, but now my nipples really hurt I hate the pump i swear . it was on a low setting with low suction the lowest setting i could use that actuall pulled the milk out! and OUCH!

Default Re: how to get him to nurse other then for comfort

In regards to your pumping, pumping should never 'hurt'. If it's hurting, your flanges may be too small. I'm having that problem too.

You might want to try pumping or expressing to your let-down and then latch him on. You might have an overactive let down and that could be the problem...

I am PMing you as I have some questions about you relactating. I am currently trying to relactate and I could def use some advice from someone with some success!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2Caleb2006
    In regards to your pumping, pumping should never 'hurt'. If it's hurting, your flanges may be too small. I'm having that problem too.

You might want to try pumping or expressing to your let-down and then latch him on. You might have an overactive let down and that could be the problem...

I am PMing you as I have some questions about you relactating. I am currently trying to relactate and I could def use some advice from someone with some success!

Good luck!
    I have tried the lactina at the hospital, then my ISIS, and my medela PIS...Maybe it is the flanges? I use the standard. it gives me blisters I think th epumping contributed to my pain nursing in the beginning. i didn't get pain until i started pumping. then got blisters and bleeding and quit. I also believe i had thrush.

i do believe i could have an over active let down as he chokes and pulls off of me. so i tried nursing up hill and still no help he does it when i only have say .5 oz of milk in there that i can express

PM me all you want I would love to help

thanks for your help!

The blisters are a BIG sign that your flanges are too small! I have almost the same problem... I was starting to see little marks above my areola. Also, I get lots of skin flecks in the flange.

It's a common problem that the flanges aren't the right size. You might want to look into getting largers flanges. Personally, I hate the medela, I have an Ameda Purely Yours and I LOVE it (until it started hurting me but that's the flanges, )...

Ebay is a good place to find the flanges. Or if you want to use your medela PIS, your local babies r us should carry the larger flanges.

I would try pumping to your letdown and catch it in a bottle or a washrag and then try to latch him.

I'm no expert but based on my personal experience and the info I've read (I'll find the link on the medela site), you should seriously consider getting larger flanges. No pump (or nursing!) should cause you blisters or pain, kwim?

I sent you a PM with some questions, btw!

Here is the link (from Medela) on choosing the correct flange fit... Hope this helps! I was begining to think that I couldn't use a pump either but I have several of the signs listed on the site so I ordered bigger flanges. I hope that helps!

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

wow ! lucky me! Lat night he woke up and REFUSED the bottle, and just nursed from me ! He never wants me when i am full which i was! and never wants to nurse at all at night!
    he actually *ate* from me!

then this morning nursed both sides for my milk instead of for comfort. I hope this keeps up!

yay! congrats! that is great! your supply should boost even more now!

now both The baby and my 23 month old are sick and I am getting it too
    He is completely refusing me. I'm happy that he is getting my milk though (A little over 10 oz now) and hopefully he feels better soon.

if it's not 1 thing it's another!