Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby led solids - how much cereal to give?

Default baby led solids - how much cereal to give?

I started my 6 mo LO on solids this week. I bought rice cereal before I decided to do baby led solids, but decided to go ahead and use it because I didn't want to go to waste. I plan on finishing this box and then not buying another - I plan to make my own rice and oatmeal cereal. My LO didn't care for the squash or peas, but seemed to like the rice cereal. I mixed the cereal with BM, but I'm worried about giving him too much. Should I limit the amount of cereal I give him?
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually

Default Re: baby led solids - how much cereal to give?

IMO I would limit the cereal, especially rice cereal, it can tend to be constipating. You can just save it for a few months and/or give it to her over a few months. Those things usually have a long expiration date and can keep for awhile. They also help make a great meatloaf...
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Default Re: baby led solids - how much cereal to give?

If you really want to do BLS, you need to skip the spoon feeding. Its so much different, and its a completely different process. My son just started eating tons of foods a few weeks ago--before that he wasn't all that interested in much more than putting it in, and spitting it back out. This process really means they aren't ready for anything more. The theory is they will swallow when they are physiologically ready.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes