Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overactive let down?

Exclamation overactive let down?

My daughter was born July 4th and every 2 hours my breasts hurt tremendously and they just start spraying, not leaking, actually soaking 2 breasts pads and through my bra and shirt. My daughter will nurse every 2-3 hours during the day but more frequently during the night time as she is awake more at night. I didn't have these pains or leaking past the first week of engorgement with my son but with my daughter I'm wondering when/if this will end. Anyone else have an overactive let down?

Default Re: overactive let down?

It does sound like you have an OALD. How is your daughter doing with handling it? You might be having more trouble with it this time since your prolactin receptors to control milk production are established from your first child. It should gradually get better and you will notice fewer "random" letdowns as your lo gets older (which I found to be the ones that hurt the most.)
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Congrats on the new little one!
    It does sound like you could have OALD and probably a bit of oversupply yet. Take a look at this article on oversupply, it's got a lot of suggestions on what you can do to help it out.
    Usually it evens out on it's own, but since it's been few weeks you might need some help.

This is also another (non LLL) resource on the subject with some pictures.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I had OALD and OS with my daughter. What helped me was to block feed. I fed her on one side only for two or three feedings in a row, then switched to the other side. But my lo nursed for about 5 - 7 minutes, every 15 - 20 minutes, so that might make a difference.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!