Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing new foods

Default Introducing new foods

My LO loves food. She's almost seven months now, and if she sees us eating, she'll try and take the food from us. The other day at the breakfast table, she lunged forward in her chair, pulled my plate to her, grabbed a pancake, and shoved it in her mouth. Whenever she sees someone eating, she starts gumming her mouth and drooling. She's an early crawler and sits herself up but doesn't have teeth yet or a very sophisticated pincer grasp (she's getting there though!).

The advice from the pediatrician is to introduce only one solid every four days or so, but since she just wants what's on our plates, I'm finding it difficult to limit her. Tonight we went out for dinner and she scarfed the banana I'd brought for her, then had some guacomole, gnawed on a steamed carrot, and then had a little less fajita sauce than she wanted. The fajita sauce was new for her, as was the carrot, and the spices in the guacomole. So... I really don't want to mess up her gut and I'm confused about why new solids need to be limited. Is it bad to let a baby her age have table food? Multiple table foods?

Default Re: Introducing new foods

We were pretty leniant on the 3-4 day rule because our son was like your daughter. Into everything. We were strict on the top allergens. Especially peanut butter, dairy, eggs, soy, and some other things. We also did mainly whole foods, and avoided anything that may have additives.

We did table foods from the start, skipped purees all together.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamagoesmoo View Post
    My LO loves food. She's almost seven months now, and if she sees us eating, she'll try and take the food from us. The other day at the breakfast table, she lunged forward in her chair, pulled my plate to her, grabbed a pancake, and shoved it in her mouth. Whenever she sees someone eating, she starts gumming her mouth and drooling. She's an early crawler and sits herself up but doesn't have teeth yet or a very sophisticated pincer grasp (she's getting there though!).

The advice from the pediatrician is to introduce only one solid every four days or so, but since she just wants what's on our plates, I'm finding it difficult to limit her. Tonight we went out for dinner and she scarfed the banana I'd brought for her, then had some guacomole, gnawed on a steamed carrot, and then had a little less fajita sauce than she wanted. The fajita sauce was new for her, as was the carrot, and the spices in the guacomole. So... I really don't want to mess up her gut and I'm confused about why new solids need to be limited. Is it bad to let a baby her age have table food? Multiple table foods?
    The main reason is so that if they do have a reaction, from being constipated all the way to allergies, you can isolate which food it is. For the most part you will be fine to do what you are doing.

Constipation is sad though, they want to poop, they are kind of miserable and just cant go for 3-4 days.

We were pretty strict about the waiting-four-days rule, but after a while it was so boring and she never seemed to have a problem with anything. Now, I try to make sure that I don't give her more than one new food in a day (but I'm like danlynclark, I stay away from the things you should wait a year for). I really like this site. It will tell you if a food is a possible allergen or just could possibly cause irritation or rash. GL!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09