Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just want to make sure we're on the right track

Default Just want to make sure we're on the right track

Our son Colton is 10 days old, and I'm not sure that breastfeeding is going "right". For the first few days, he fed very well at a 3.5-3hr interval, but for the last two days, he's been hungry ever 1-1.5 hours. He's also started getting lazy while suckling in the past two days, and he will fall asleep fairly quickly while eating. When he's awake, he suckles 5 or 6 times then rests for 5-10 seconds. Is this right/normal/correct?

Everything we've read so far states that cluster feeding at the 3 week period could be due to a growth spurt. Is it normal or okay for a 10 day old to eat every 1-1.5 hours?

Thanks!

Default Re: Just want to make sure we're on the right track

Congratulations on your new little one!

I think nursing 1-1.5 hours is actual more the "norm" for a newborn than 3 hours. And baby's go through a growth spurt right around 7-10 days too. See: Frequency Nursing

Check out this wonderful resource for information on what to expect in the early weeks of breastfeeding:

Basics of Breastfeeding for the Early Weeks

"Frequent nursing in the early weeks is important for establishing a good milk supply. Most newborns need to nurse 8 - 12+ times per day (24 hours). You CAN'T nurse too often—you CAN nurse too little."

"Nurse at the first signs of hunger (stirring, rooting, hands in mouth)—don't wait until baby is crying. Allow baby unlimited time at the breast when sucking actively, then offer the second breast. Some newborns are excessively sleepy—wake baby to nurse if 2 hours (during the day) or 4 hours (at night) have passed without nursing."

It is very normal for young babies to have very frequent (every hour) and/or long nursing sessions. Just be sure to feed your baby when he indicates that he is hungry ... signs are sucking on lips, hands, fingers, opening and closing mouth, roothing around on your chest, squirming around, fussing or breathing fast ... it is a LATE hunger cue if your baby needs to cry to let you know he's hungry.

Good luck and post more if you have more questions or concerns. There are many wonderful moms on this board with excellent advice and support to give!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hi There!

Congratulations on your new baby!

Eating every 1-1 1/2 hours is very typical for a newborn of this age. This is probably the frequency you can expect him to eat at for the next several weeks, AND you'll notice an increase when he goes through a growth spurt. Newborns need to eat at least 8 times per 24 hours, and many eat closer to 12 times per 24 hours.

Think of your weight and double that number. Now imagine someone told you that you had to double your weight within 6 months. You'd be eating all the time right? That's exactly what your baby is doing!

It's very normal for them to rest a bit from time to time during the nursing session. And it's also pretty normal for them to fall asleep while eating, and it's something he'll grow out of.To help him get in a full feeding, you can gently compress your breast when he stops suckling--you should find that this will help stimulate him to suckle again. Release the compression as soon as he starts to suckle, and repeat as necessary. When compression fails to stimulate him to suckle again, you can offer him the other side or just let him sleep, depending on what you think he needs.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thank you guys so much for your fast replies! Last night I relaxed a bit and just let him go until he stopped himself and it seems, so far any way, that he is a lot more satisfied. I was worrying too much about the 1-1.5hour marker and I think I was trying to hurry him up. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future!!!

Hi

Am still feeding my son at 22 months. Still wonder if I am producing milk!

Have always worried whether he was taking enough!

Breastfeeding is on demand and can vary enormously. You sound quite normal to me.

As for your babe falling asleep, our milk has relaxing properties in it which make babe go to sleep and also us. This is perfect time for you to sleep aswell.

If there is one thing I have learnt is that breastfeeding is very powerful. You have to rest to feed your baby. You have to drink lots to make milk so ensure that you have lots of water while you feed and also some food too. When your babe feeds happy endorphins are released to make you calm too.

Enjoy
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Colton's Mom
    Thank you guys so much for your fast replies! Last night I relaxed a bit and just let him go until he stopped himself and it seems, so far any way, that he is a lot more satisfied. I was worrying too much about the 1-1.5hour marker and I think I was trying to hurry him up. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future!!!
    Yep, that's the way to do it. Let him feed as he "demands" it. Healthy newborns are good little self-regulators. They know when they need to eat and sleep.

Ask away with all your other questions! That's what we're here for

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!