Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful pumping.

Unhappy painful pumping.

hello,

i'm having a few issues and just feeling really discouraged.

i've been pumping for my daughter since she was born (5 weeks) d/t her inability to latch-on.

as of late, my let-down has been rather uncomfortable and the discomfort doesn't go away once my milk starts to flow. i've tried turning the suction down on my pump, but that doesn't really help.

i'm not sure if it's because of the pain i've been experiencing or what my problem is, but i feel really frustrated with pumping right now. i just feel like my life revolves around that breast pump. i know that i'm doing the right thing in pumping the milk for nora and i don't want to stop pumping, i guess i just need to vent. i try to stay positive about it, but sometimes i just get so sad that she isn't able to latch-on. i just feel like things would be a little easier if i could just breast-feed her instead of having to pump every 3-4 hours.
    sorry for my rant. i just don't know how much longer i will be able to do this and i feel sad and guilty for feeling that way.

Mommy to Nora Jean
    Born 6 lbs, 13 oz. on 06/13/08
    Loves her cloth diapers
    All the time

300 oz. donated so far!

Default Re: painful pumping.

Have you tried bigger breast shields? Are your nipples rubbing against the sides? Check out these links:

http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfee...eldfitting.php

http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

Also, I found this on the Ameda website about EPing. I had never seen this before but came across it when looking for the other info:

http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/moms/

You're feeling exactly the way I felt around that time. It's hard! I've been doing this for 9 months now, and I remember thinking at the beginning that there was no way I was going to be able to do this for a year. Now I'm thinking of scaling back but not stopping at a year. I guess it's just become another part of my life now. I know I'll have so much more time when I'm done with this though.

It will get better. You are doing awesome, Momma!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

What type of pain is it? Is it from the nipple rubbing on the flange? If so, then you may need a larger flange.

Or, you might have a yeast infection. Nursing moms get them, as do their babies (thrush), but pumping moms can get them, too. You might check with your LC or your OB/midwife about that. It's easily treatable.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I know how you feel...pumping exclusively is tough. I have been doing this for about 6-7 mo. It is soooooo much harder than BF but, as you mentioned, you know it is the right thing for the baby. That is the ONLY thing that keeps me going - especially when I am teaching. My whole life revolves around "it's pumping time again!" I guess keep in mind that you won't be doing this forever....you already made it this far. As pp said, after a while it really becomes second nature. However, now that I am home with DD for the summer it is an interesting thing pumping and caring for an acticve 9 mo. old....
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

i just love this forum.
    thank you for your help, ladies.

i have my 6 week checkup tomorrow with my midwife, so i'll ask her about the yeast infection. otherwise, i'm going to get bigger flanges.

thanks again - your advice and support mean so much.

Mommy to Nora Jean
    Born 6 lbs, 13 oz. on 06/13/08
    Loves her cloth diapers
    All the time

300 oz. donated so far!