Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think he's really done....

Default I think he's really done....

He hasn't nursed in a few days. Before that it was every day maybe once, but only for a few seconds. Now he will come to the breast and not really latch. He puts his mouth on and gives this little suck, not enough to even draw my nipple into his mouth.

I was prepared to tandem, and understand that still may happen. But I felt like if I could just keep him nursing until the baby is born that he would pick up. Now it seems he forgets how. I wanted him to have at least 2 years of nursing.

I am scared that when the baby is born he will want to nurse, but have forgotten how and cause me pain from an incorrect toddler latch. I'm also scared that if he picks up again that he will never stop!!

So many emotions! I think something in my body has changed because I'm very hormonal, I broke out in all sorts of pimples, crying, etc.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: I think he's really done....

It's COMPLETELY normal to be emotional with this, your hormones are changing and I'm sure all over the place. Even if this is the end, it's the beginning of something new. The gift you've given him will last forever.

Whatever comes will come, we will help you out!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post
    It's COMPLETELY normal to be emotional with this, your hormones are changing and I'm sure all over the place. Even if this is the end, it's the beginning of something new. The gift you've given him will last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pigpen777 View Post

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thanks you guys. I think this is why I cry at the drop of a hat lately. Something is off with my hormones. I am thankful that I can still pump a cup or two of milk for him after the baby is born! Or maybe he will want to pick it up again?
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post

I remember when Kate was "finishing up" with me. Every night I would really focus on being in the moment...so I could close my eyes and go back to what we had.

Then one night she refused and I promptly ran to Pearce and cried in his arms...then posted to you gals. That was it for us, no tandem. But that girl will demand that I pump her a cup of my milk and she REALLY enjoys it, she's so careful not to spill any and it's the only thing she drinks from a cup that does not get wasted. I'm telling you, not a drop left over! And I watch her swallow it and there is a connection there.

Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    :But that girl will demand that I pump her a cup of my milk and she REALLY enjoys it, she's so careful not to spill any and it's the only thing she drinks from a cup that does not get wasted. I'm telling you, not a drop left over! And I watch her swallow it and there is a connection there.

Awww What a great way to look at it.

Lyn, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Sometimes I wish C would wean since I think something is off with his latch and he's killing me. However, it is posts like this that remind me to cherish these moments since it could be over in a blink of an eye.

I think it's a great idea to pump a glass of mommy milk for him once your little girl gets here (assuming he doesn't resume nursing.) After all it doesn't diminish the quality of the milk just because he's not getting it from the breast.

You guys have a fatastic bond already, he won't forget that

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He latched on correctly for about 20 seconds this morning!!!!
    Lyn

Before ML weaned completely she would go a few days in between nursing. I was a huge bundle of emotions too, it's almost a relief when the end is in sight but then again it's so sad. I felt like I was losing a connection with her, but after she weaned I learned that we were making new ones. I think Christy's idea of pumping a cup of milk everyday is a fantastic idea and maybe something to try! You two will get thru this, you're a wonderful mom and you won't lose your connection with your special little guy!
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime