Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who turned the leaky faucets off?

Default Who turned the leaky faucets off?

I have always had a very good milk supply (leaking, spraying, etc.) It seems like over night a couple of days ago my breast went from full and firm to soft. They haven't leaked since. DD's nursing habits have not changed. ( she was diagnosed with acid reflux a week ago so I have started nursing her in an upright position) I nurse on demand. Some days she sucks more, some days not. She usually nurses every 2.5 to 3 hrs at night. A couple of times she has sleep 6 hours at night between feedings. She is 10 weeks old.
    Maybe this is normal, but it just seemed to happen so suddenly. One day leaking and spraying, the next nothing. LO seems to still be getting satisfied. I guess I have just been used to leaky faucets. I wore nursings pads 24/7. Does anyone have any input?
    NAK TOH

Default Re: Who turned the leaky faucets off?

Is there any chance you are pregnant? A very sudden decrease in supply could be due to pregnancy or AF.

Is it actually a decrease is your supply or do you just not feel as full?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chargermom View Post
    Is there any chance you are pregnant? A very sudden decrease in supply could be due to pregnancy or AF.

Is it actually a decrease is your supply or do you just not feel as full?
    No chance I'm pregnant. I have not seen AF, but there has been a slight change in discharge that could indicate this might happen. (if that is the case I am confused about why it would be happening so soon.)

decrease in supply or just not feeling full? I would say both. I am assuming my supply has decreased since my breast feel smaller and certainly not as full.
    Last edited by @llli*abigialsmom83; July 18th, 2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

ITs normal for your milk supply to even out about that age..8-10 weeks
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

reduction in fullness does not necessarily indicate a decrease in supply....

Hopefully an LLL leader will chime in soon. BUT - if your DD continues to get good diaper output and is content/satisfied after each feeding, I would not overstress it.

If she is starting to go longer stretches at night, this could bring on the return of AF, hence the drop in supply. But the lack of leaking and engorgement is not indicitive of your supply. Its normal at this age for your supply to level off to the need of your child.

I would just watch diapers and go from there.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Well, it is reassuring to know that there is probably nothing wrong with my supply. I sure hope AF is not returning. We usually still nurse at least every 3 hrs at night. I guess I was just surpirsed that I quit leaking. We usually only nurse on 1 side per feeding. This worked better for LO because in the beginning she was getting large amounts of foremilk and it seemed to be making her fussy and gassy. I am wondering if now that my supply has maybe leveled out we might could try nursing both sides per feeding. Or maybe I should just continue what we are doing. (Don't fix something that isn't broken.) and just deal with the slight lopsidedness.

What you describe is normal. Many mothers find that their breasts suddenly, or not so suddenly, feel noticeably less full and there is no more leaking. What it means is that your breasts and baby are in harmony with each other.

It is common for mothers to at this point to worry about their milk supply, and really, there is nothing wrong. As long as your baby continues to thrive, gain weight, and have regular bowel movements (and at 10 weeks, regular could be several/day, or once a week or more--sorry that there is no definitive "normal" frequency), you have enough milk.

Enjoy the reprieve from wet breast pads!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

The fullness I used to feel went away a few weeks after I got my supply built up. I was sure I'd pump and get nothing only to walk to the fridge with six ounces. It's normal for the breasts to feel less full and to even not be as large as they become better at regulating milk production and the letdown with the baby's (or, in my case, the pump's) needs.

Ditto the diaper count and weight gain. If that's good, then all is probably well.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Thanks for all the response. This forum is wonderful.
    Does anyone else have a loud nurser? My LO sounds like she is slurping/smacking when she nurses. Not the sucking/swallowing sounds nor the gulping sounds she used to make when my let down was more than she could handle. She is just very noisy. Could it be a sign of improper latch, like maybe her suction isn't good?