Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving them tastes before 6mo... is that ok?

Default Giving them tastes before 6mo... is that ok?

I'm pretty much sold on brestfeeding my son up to and past 6 months before getting him more involved with eating cereals and food. Unfortunately, I'm a working mom equipped with breastpump, and I leave my 20 week old in the care of my husband during the day. He then works nights and I take over.

There has been a few times when my husband, in all his eagerness to let our son experience new things, gives him tastes of some things (holding a piece of fruit to his mouth to lick/suck on it, watermelon juice, yogurt, icecream). However, he doesn't do this very often, just every now and then. I told my husband to be a little more careful about what he gives the baby yet (expecially the cow based products). No obvious allergic reactions or diaharrea from this though.

But it makes me wonder if this practice is just a bad, from what I have been reading. My son is otherwise given breastmilk for his sustinance. What is everyone else's opinions on this? Could it cause more likely chances of allergic reactions?

Default Re: Giving them tastes before 6mo... is that ok?

I think it's only a problem if you have a lot of food allergies that run in the family. I just read a study in the NYT that said that babies who got some solids before 6 mths were actually less likely to develop allergies. The theory was maybe that it was better for them to get just a few solids at first and some exposure before 6 months, rather than no solids at all and then all of a sudden several solids a week. So, according to this study, what your husband is doing (offering just a tiny bit) is perfect.

We always did!

We gave dd some solids before 6 months but not until 5 months. That was about the time she started getting interested in our plates and what we were eating. I started putting her in the high chair while we were eating and giving her rice cereal mixed with bm to play with, and of course some ended up in her mouth. Her favorite thing though was fruit--if I was eating an apple or cantaloupe or something, especially cold, she loved to suck on chunks that I held to her mouth. I never gave her those to play with by herself cuz I was afraid she would choke. We still do more of this sort of eating than canned baby food--she just likes it better !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

DF does the same thing with our 3 1/2 month old. If he's eating a popsicle he'll hold it to her lips.

She loves it.

I came into the kitchen a couple of weeks ago and my dad was holding his finger to her lips letting her taste something. I nearly had a heart attack when I found out it was honey. Put a stop to that right away.

But I don't see any harm in letting lick on some things if you don't have a family history of food allergies.

I am in a tough place with this one as my mom gave my DS custard style ice cream last night and he is currently having an allergic reaction to it. He has screamed in pain all day and has been throwing everything up, including water.

I guess it just depends but I won't be giving DS any type of solids until he is much older (he's 4 months).

Hey guys, sorry I am the odd one out..... Lot's of intolerances and allergies here so we did not give him anything but breast milk for at least the 1st 6 months. I do not know exactly where LLL stands on this but my guess is no solids and just breast milk.... Sorry, I know that is not the answerer that you all want... Just too many chances for something to happen, it is hard for "well intentioned" people to know where the line is, Popsicles is OK ( watch for all the dyes and sugar) but not honey or ice cream. Grandma's and daddies just do not know how dangerous it can be.... I have a great study from the American Academy of Pediatrics of Allergies that says that babies given any solids before 6 months can really be problematic. I am not tech savvy enough to be able to link it but if you want it just email me and I will send it along, tgotbeter@knology.net. Sorry guys, I am just a super cautious momma when it comes to food. All the best!

Smile Re: Giving them tastes before 6mo... is that ok?

We have a soon to be 5 month old, and she is more than ever interested in what we are eating. If we are having watermelon or cantilope we will let her suck on a piece. We found a really cool gadget that has a ring for baby to hold and a bag with a zipper the baby sucks on the juice and won't choke on the other things that may fall from the fruit. Just take it slow, it's all part of the learning process.

I'm with Brittan on this one.

We didn't give ANYTHING before 7 months, actually. And when we got around to it, we introduced one thing at a time, waited for several days while feeding only that, to see if there was a problem with it before trying something else. Fortunately for us, we did that. Turns out DS has a sensitivity. We'd never have found it if we had randomly given him stuff or started early; we would probably have attributed the symptoms of the sensitivity to him just being colicky. We do not have a history of food allergies, but there is a family history of general allergies on both sides.

The other reason I totally limited solids was I wanted to control what people fed my kid. I have a very close friend who really, really wanted to feed him ice cream and cake at just a couple months old. My family insisted he was ready for solids early, and "that it would give you a break." (Solids never slowed down nursing for my guy!) By telling people he was not allowed any solids, I didn't have to watch every little thing they fed him but could intercept anything they wanted to give him with a NO.

I've heard about the study, but I haven't read it yet. Guess I should get around to it. . .
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i didnt till 6 mos but who knows i think about our parents dr's then had us on food at 10 weeks, pablum anyways.....i have no intolerances or allergies. i know very few people who do......and those who do have family histories. its your call, what ever you are comfortable with