Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poor let down

Default poor let down

any advice? I am down to pumping only 2-4 oz during my 12 hour shifts. i know it is due to let down, because I have only one or two let downs in 20-25 mins and they are very week. i am only able to pump 3 times/shift. I try compressions/ massage. I have also tried fenugreek, but it gives me diarrhea. any advice would be very appreciated. DD will be a year on wednesday... is this common as breastfeeding is extended?

Default Re: poor let down

A few questions for you,

what sort of pump are you using? have you replaced the wearable parts lately?

anything new in your life? your period started, unusually stressful at work?

does she seem to be nursing less for you while you guys are together?

Sorry so many questions! It is pretty common that if your baby starts nursing less/demanding less then your supply will reflect that. They can also start going longer periods when they add solids as an actual part of their diet.
    Are you worried about her intake?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post
    A few questions for you,

what sort of pump are you using? have you replaced the wearable parts lately?

anything new in your life? your period started, unusually stressful at work?

does she seem to be nursing less for you while you guys are together?

Sorry so many questions! It is pretty common that if your baby starts nursing less/demanding less then your supply will reflect that. They can also start going longer periods when they add solids as an actual part of their diet.
    Are you worried about her intake?
    I have a PISA. I have not recently changed out the parts. I have had my period back for 6 months and I have been experiencing the poor let down for about three months. Have a little bit of extra stress. we moved from texas in feb and have been living with my parents while looking for a house to buy. DD is starting to nurse less very recently. I have tried to supplement her with EBM, formula, and whole milk and she will not take any of it from a bottle or a cup, so I have been giving her yogurt and cheese daily. I have even tried chocolate and strawberry milk and she still refuses. thanks in advance for your help!

It does sound like things are stressful for you guys right now. Is she taking water and juice (if you do that) ok?
    We dont NEED to have cows milk, so if it's something she refuses but gets her fats, calcium, and vitamins well in other places then milk isn't such a big worry.

Is she nursing 4+ times in a 24 hour period? If so that's really all she needs to not worry about milk, you milk still trumps any amount of cows milk.

The 2-4oz that you are pumping is probably a reflection of her nursing less, the stress you've got, and just the ebb your in right now.
    Drink plenty of water, try a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, and try your very best to just let go when you do pump. What comes will come, it's so hard to relax but it will help you out a lot if you can get there.

Your doing a great job mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!