Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EEk Help

Default EEk Help

Ok so here's the situation. I am a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding in a few weeks. The wedding is 'back home' which is an hour and a half drive from where I am now. DH and DD will be coming with to the wedding as well, but over the course of two days (rehersal, and actual wedding day) DD will need a few bottles. I don't pump everyday - usually only if there's a reason to. I have a small stash of frozen bm in the freezer. Can I transport that milk to my mom's (where we'll be staying) in a cooler? If it's still frozen when I put it in the cooler and put it in the fridge as soon as we get there (1.5 hrs later). I'm still waiting on the schedule to figure out how many bottle I'll need to bring, but I know we'll need some because my mom will be watching DD during part of the reception (they are having a child-free dinner). My only other option is to pump like mad every chance I get the week leading up to the wedding so that I have some fresh milk (refrigerated milk) to bring instead... but 'every chance I get' isn't often. (Also if I did do this how long would t take for my supply to adjust? I wouldn't want DD not to get enough milk that week because I'm suddenly pumping alot).

I'm a llittle stressed about this - can you tell?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: EEk Help

glad your baby is going with you that will make things a little bit simpler then if you were appart...

how old is baby?

She's 4 months. And yes I'm glad too she's coming with. There will just be certain points throughout where I won't be able to nurse. I have to be at the hairdresser at 8am so she'll be with DH and my mom for the morning. Then at some point they'll come meet up with me (as I said still waiting on the exact schedule). Then while at the church she'll be with DH. The reception should be fine. I'll be able to nurse until my mom picks her up before supper...

awe little yet.
    Its ok to take a break from all the wedding stuff.
    If they don't understand tough cookies.

You should be able to use a small cooler for frozen milk..
    do you have a deep freezer?
    That freezes milk at a lower temp then the freezer on top of the fridge.
    keep the cooler out of the sun and in the car were its cooler then the trunk.

Oh and the evening before the wedding is the rehersal. That shouldn't be too bad though. An hour maybe two where I won't be able to nurse. At the dinner I can nurse no problem.

Unfortunately no I don't have a deepfreezer. We have a side by side fridge. So the freezer is attached to the fridge but on the side instead of on the top. Same thing I would imagine in terms of temperature.

Also I just realized I will have my pump with me... so whatever I pump in the morning (missed sessions) I will be able to leave with my mom for the evening. Now that I'm thinking (a little more logically) I probably won't need to bring as much of the frozen milk as I had thought.

I've just never left her for longer than 2-4 hours (an evening). And those times it's been at our house with DH or her Grandma/Granny. They know where the frozen milk is so I always know they'll have enough... Planning for this is much more difficult!

Your lo will be close while you are "tied up" with wedding duties, correct? Other than the actual ceremony, it shouldn't be a problem if you need to step away to nurse your baby. Would it be possible for your mom and your lo to be at the same location as the reception, just in a separate room? Would it be possible for your lo to be at the hairdresser with you? Most of the other ladies would probably not mind having a baby to fuss over while you were having your hair done. I have nursed several times while getting my hair done.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

As for transporting the frozen milk do not pack it with ice. Ice freezes at a higher temperature and will unthaw your milk!
    Instead pack a small cooler full with newspaper or towels and pack it full so there's not any air circulating.
    Even if it's a little bit unthawed you can still freeze it back - many mother's ship milk - milk bank websites usually have great shipping guidelines!

I'd agree with the others about having your baby with you as much as possible. A lot of times it's easy to slip away at the reception because the bride and groom are talking to so many people, they probably wouldn't even notice!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Just dealt with this issue today since LO is spending four days with my mom without me. I packed the cooler with the four days worth of frozen EBM plus the refrigerated EBM for today, topped it off with ice and put it in the car last for our 2.5 hour drive. By the time I got here, the fresh EBM (refrigerated) was slushy. I'd say it survived the trip just fine. The frozen EBM was still rock solid and went straight back into the freezer.

Current guidelines also say that EBM is ok in a well-insulated and iced cooler for 24 hours.

Enjoy the wedding and hope all goes well with the pumping. And, I secon dthe pp's comment - tough cookies if anyone - including the bride - doesn't understand. Hope they're all supportive.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Thank you all for the responses. I'm going to try to keep my LO near me as much as possible. Thanks for the tips on transporting frozen milk. I'm feeling more reassured now.

I agree that people will have to be understanding... even if I leave LO with my mom the entire day I'd have to pump every few hours so I might as well keep her close as much as possible. I'm sure the bride would rather that than see her bridesmaid at the front of the church with two wet boobs because she's leaking!! (Obviously I wouldn't let it get to that point... but it's an image for her if she's being less than understanding).

Hey! Just wanted you to know that I transported fresh and frozen milk to and from a hotel this weekend and had no problems. Everythigns tayed super cold and, luckily, there was a fridge in the hotel room. LO got all her EBM right on schedule and I was able to keep everything that I pumped while there. It can be done!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008