Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: all done...I think

Default all done...I think

My 2 year old hasn't nursed in over a week. For months it has been hardly anything. She never asks now. I was feeling done so I let it go. I think she's done now. I asked her if she used to nurse "yup!" and does she still nurse "no!". It was very gradual, and suprisingly to me, very easy...no breast issues, no real issues for her, etc. it just happened. I never thought I would see the day. Its a very strange and emotional thing though! In one way I am happy since it wasn't nice anymore for me, and in another way, I am sad since that time is over.

Is it normal though that now she is done, she tends to touch my breasts more? I don't like that. For example, if I am carrying her, she reaches over and touches them. Especially out in public and in unfamiliar places. She never did that before in that way until she started to wean. Yes she used to try to touch me when she wanted to nurse as a baby, but that was in a different way. I'm just not sure why she is doing this now, and whether inside she is upset or something. I would still let her nurse if she asked although there is hardly any milk now. I can't ask her if she is upset about it since she is not talking much yet. Plus I don't know if that would be reliable anyways.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Default Re: all done...I think

I honestly don't know the answer to your question. But you know what? Sometimes my 5-yr old DS (weaned since 6 months) snuggles up to my breasts or puts his hand on them- like on the tops of them I mean if I'm wearing a tank top kwim?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Your breasts have been a source of security to her her whole life. It's very normal for her to want to reach out and touch them and get security from them still. And it will happen more in places where she as a toddler will need more security.
    Why don't you like it? Does it irritate you, embarrass you? What's the issue?

Way too lazy for formula

I don't like it because #1 its not comfortable with my sore pregnancy breasts and #2 people always notice and make comments. I know I shouldn't care about the comments, but its annoying and I don't like my LO hearing them.

Really? People comment? I've gotten strange looks but never comments. Both my kids fondle my breasts. Ds has not go the nurse and 2 handed fondle/twiddle down on the other breast .

Dd weaned when I was pregnant and I was devastated. If only I'd known how much she would nurse when she started again .

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Could you encourage her to touch somewhere else that's more comfortable for you with lots of praise, encouragement and redirection? Like maybe your neck since it would be in fairly easy to slide her hand up?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

that's a good idea- telling her to pick another place gently. I will try that.

moose- your DD really started up nursing again? Wow I didn't know that. Did she start after you had your DS? Did she just ask, and that was it? I wonder how much my DD's weaning is due to pregnancy, and how much is due to her growing up- although she was leaning towards nursing less and less before the pregnancy anyways. She will be older though than your DD was when the next baby comes here. And yes, people comment: "what you are still nursing?!" is the most common one. The area I live in doesn't have many nursing moms though, and if there are, it isn't very long...definately not toddlerhood. The latest was from a friend: "I guess she doesn't know any better" (yikes!) I wish I could think of appropriate things to say at the time, but the best I did with that one was "its natural for her, and there is nothing wrong with nursing at this age". I know she wasn't convinced though. I also had someone we hired to do some work on our house say "she's controlling you when she does that" to which I said nothing...I honestly was so upset by it that I couldn't think of anything. I should have said "actually, she's feeling insecure since a stranger is here, and to her, its only natural that that is where she gets her comfort". But I didn't. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nola.nola View Post
    I also had someone we hired to do some work on our house say "she's controlling you when she does that" to which I said nothing...I honestly was so upset by it that I couldn't think of anything.

I've had two people comment to me recently that my daughter (18 1/2 months) is controlling and manipulating me with regards to nursing. I chalk it up to not knowing any better, one person who made the comment didn't nurse any of her 5 children, and the other person who made the comment nursed both her children, one for 6 weeks and the other for 5 months (she said he self-weaned). So she doesn't understand what it's like to nurse long-term.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months