Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding through the night...

Default Breastfeeding through the night...

Up until about a month ago, my 6 month old son was sleeping just fine. He would go down around 9 or 9:30, maybe wake up once around 1 am, and then sleep again until 5 or 6.

Then, about three weeks ago, my mother was admitted to the hospital in very grave condition, and my son and I had to fly to Texas to see her before she passed away. We were there for about 10 days, and since my sister didn't have a crib or a play yard for the upstairs bedroom, I just tucked him under my arm and let him sleep with me through the night.

Now that we are back home, he will not sleep in his own crib for more than two hours at most, and when I put him in bed with me, he wants to nurse for an hour or more as he gets back to sleep. If I take my breast out of his mouth, he wakes up and screams. If I try to put him back in his crib, sometimes he'll start crying even before his head hits the mattress!

Co-sleeping with him is really doing me in, since I wake up every time he moves, and I don't feel like I get any decent sleep, since he wakes up about every two hours or so, and I don't get that "recharge" sleep that I desperately need to function during the day.

Any advice for getting him back to sleeping in his own crib? I feel like we're totally back to square one here, and I don't know what to do.

Thanks!
    Jen

Mom to Colden Tonessen born on January 15, 2008 - 11 lb 2 oz and growing ever since!

Default Re: Breastfeeding through the night...

The sleep change may be related to the disruption, but it may also only be incidental. Six months is prime teething time. Also, my son acted like that one time when we were fighting an ear infection. After a couple weeks, it cleared up and everything was back to normal. Hopefully, for you, this is just a phase.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Default Re: Breastfeeding through the night...

There are also a lot of developmental changes that take place that can cause more night waking. It sounds like you've been home for about a week and a half? You might start by trying to gentle him back to sleep some way other than nursing with that first night waking. You can try rubbing his back while he's still in his crib and see if that helps. If you have a partner available, maybe he could rock your lo back to sleep. If you can at least get him to stretch out that first night waking after a few days, that might help you to feel more rested.

If it comes down to it, you might consider using your crib as a side car to your bed so you could both have more space.

FWIW, we started co-sleeping each night when DS was 7 mo b/c that was how we could cope with his lighter sleep patterns, so it's not terribly unusual for this change to take place.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.