Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight Concern?

Default Weight Concern?

My son had his 4 month appt yesterday and is now 12lb 9oz and 25.5 inches long. The pediatrician was a little concerned about his weight as he'd gone from being in the 25th percentile to the 10th - while his height has gone from the 50th to 75th percentile. He is definitely a long and lean baby. I'm not really concerned as he's doing well and I know there are different growth charts, etc for formula vs breastfed. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that his weight gain is ok. He's been exclusively breastfed except for a little bit of formula for about 3 days in the beginning to help with jaundice. Below are his stats. I went back to work on 6/5 and he gets EBM at daycare.

Born 3/16 at 6lb 15oz and 20.5 inches
    3/18 left hospital at 6lb 5oz
    3/31 2 week checkup was 7lb 11oz
    5/19 2 month checkup was 10lb 4oz and 23 inches
    7/16 4 month checkup was 12lb 9oz and 25.5 inches

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Weight Concern?

it appears that your lo is gaining consistently. is your ped using bf charts or ff charts? my ds was completely off the chart for the first year. kids vary alot in weight and height.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I didn't ask which chart the pediatrician is using. I guess if there is still concern at his 6 month checkup I'll ask. Thanks!

It doesn't sound like there's much cause for concern to me. Your baby grew modestly in weight and substantially in length. Growth is like that- it's not always occurring at a constant rate in every dimension. Some months a baby will put more calories into weight, and other months into height.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like he is doing well to me, my little guy was 5lb 13oz at birth and still only 11lb 11oz at 4mo, i to was concerned but my dr told me not to worry cuz he was gaining consistently and thats what they want to see. he goes for his 6m visit on monday and i cant wait to see what the scale reads this time
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future