Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I use a manual for this?

Default Can I use a manual for this?

Hi all!!

I am an EP-er, I am using the Medela PISA, and it's great, but I've been eyeing the Medela Harmony lately ...

I am thinking of doing the following: keep using the PISA all the time, but have the Harmony to throw in the car when I go to an errand/doc appt that MAY go longer than expected (so, as backup, because this has been happening a lot lately, and I'm tired of skipping pumping sessions) ...

Secondly, I'd like to keep it by the bed for a midnight pumping session. I am currently NOT doing a midnight pumping session, I'm sure it would help my supply if I did, but I can't use the PISA in the room with DH, so I figured a manual might be the answer??

Please let me know if I am expecting too much of a manual pump!
    FTM to Dante
    Birthday: June 15 2008 (Father's Day!)
    Birth Time: Crack of Noon
    Birth Weight: 8 lbs 4 oz

Default Re: Can I use a manual for this?

With my first baby (born in 1988), I only had a manual pump. I did not know that there were electric pumps.

I worked part-time and pumped for one year with that manual pump. I only pumped a few times a day because I nursed when I was not at work.

What would be the harm in giving it a try?

Good luck!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Shouldn't be an issue. I work full-time & pump 3x's/day with a manual. It's been great & no supply loss. I'm pumping much more this time than after DD1 and I had an electric then.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Those sound like great uses for a manual pump! The middle of night pumpings are exactly what I use my Harmony for. I keep my PIS downstairs and keep my Harmony in our upstairs bathroom. When I pump in the middle of the night I use the Harmony since it's quiet. I don't see any downside to actually ADDING a pumping session - it will only help matters! Manual pumps are ideally used for occasional pumping and missed pumping sessions, although as lots of moms have said, they can work for full time pumping too.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; July 17th, 2008 at 08:44 AM.

That sounds like a good use for a manual.

I know that the manual works well for some moms even full-time, but I have a good friend who was pumping at work. She had a hospital grade pump that she was renting but didn't want to carry it to work. She brought a manual pump and ended up with mastitis. She brought the electric from then on.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine