Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Newly pregnant and my milk supply has diminished overnight!

Default Help! Newly pregnant and my milk supply has diminished overnight!

I just found out I am pregnant (?4/5 weeks maybe - my cycles still not back so hard to know exactly). We are thrilled with this news as we were TTC.

The biggest tip off was my super sire nipples (feels like my 12 m old is biting although she is not) and the overnight drop in my supply.

Is there anything I can do to increase my supply? I still nurse my DD 4-6 per day and have no intention of weaning, especially with her diary/egg allergies. Unfortunately my supply is simply lacking - she is nursing more often, getting frustrated at the boob and when I pump I barely get 2 oz (I used to get 6oz easily from both boobs). Despite the extra feedings my supply is still low after 10 days or so.

Will my supply come back later in the pregnancy? Any ideas or guidance would be very much appreciated as I would love to be able to continue to BF and tandem nurse. The thought of having to wean now breaks my heart :-( - I had no idea this would happen - everything I read said the supply is fine during pregnancy till month 4-5.

Thanks - Lara!

Default Re: Help! Newly pregnant and my milk supply has diminished overnight!

My supply went down around the same time, unfortunately.... I don't have any advice to offer as for how to increase your supply because supply is driving by hormone,s primarily and when there's a pregnancy brewing, Im not sure what would be safe... THat is not to say there isn't info out there... I just didn't seek it out. I let it happen naturally and DS weaned within about 6 weeks. He too has allergies and I felt (and still sometimes feel) guilt about the supply/weaning issue- but It's what I had to deal with so we're truckin along fine.

Maybe someone will come along with more helpful info... if not - we'll help get you through it.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! That is exciting.

You may have figured out by now that there is not much you can do to increase your supply when pregnancy. You body is being run by a different set of hormones (which is great for the new baby! )

The best thing it to maintain whatever supply your body is making by nursing often and draining the breast when you can.

I completely lost my supply like 20ish weeks and got colostrom back 28ish weeks. Once DS was born I had a huge new supply.

Congratulations again. There is a forums here for nursing when pregnant which is great!!

(I'll add to that weaning is somewhat out of your control if you keep allowing your little one to nurse. Some babies will naturally wean, some will not (my DD did not wean, my nephew did for my SIL)
    Last edited by @llli*chargermom; July 17th, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks both for your responses.

I am beginning to understand that there is not much I can do and I need to adjust my expectations.

It is great to hear from Mom who have been there.

Chargermom - what do you mean your DD did not wean? Did she keep feeding (for comfort) although there was little milk? Also where is the forum for nursing while pregnant - I can't find it anywhere (still new here ;-))

Under the heading "pregnancy and birth" there is a board for "pregnant and breastfeeding" or "breastfeeding and pregnant"

There are LOTS of moms here who continued to nurse through pregnancies. The board is great because people are go through it and there is so much support and advice. My DS is 4 mos old now and DD is barely over 2 yrs. We tandem nurse and its working out great.

There was about 2 mos where my body was not producing milk or colostrom. DD kept nursing during this time - it was probably 60% comfort nursing and 40% habit/routine. She nursed first thing in the morning and right before bed.

I found out I was pregnant 1 week after DD's first birthday and she was still nursing like 6 times a day (similar to you). it was after this that we slowly cut out nursing sessions until it was just twice a day.

Now that the new milk has come back - DD will nurse as much as I let her

Keep looking around until you see that forum - the moms there are great!!