Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems With Supply

Unhappy Problems With Supply

Hello, everyone!! My name is Nina and I am currently breastfeeding my 1 month old daughter. My problem is this......she is tongue tied and has serious issues with latching on, so we use a nipple shield. We have an appointment to get her tongue clipped soon. I just got her to latch onto my left breast without the nipple shield and I'm hoping to keep it going, even though it hurts a little. Now, the real problem is my supply. Even after feeding her I have to give her more breastmilk in a bottle. I have to pump like crazy all the time to keep up with her feedings. It's starting to wear on me a little, feeding her for 30-45 minutes at a time and still having to bottle feed her 2-3 ounces. I would like her to just breastfeed and be done with the bottles completely. I know she gets a little from my breast because I can see it in the nipple shield, but apparently not enough. I end up pumping right after I feed her and I'm only getting 2-3 ounces. I keep reading about these women who pump after feedings and get like 6 ounces....what the heck am I doing wrong?! HELP!

xoxo

Default Re: Problems With Supply

This is really wearing on you! It sounds like you guys have a good plan, and many babies who have tongue tie problems in the beginning go on to nurse very well later on, it just takes them some time (and possibly the clip like your doing!).

Are you guys supplementing because she's not transferring milk well? Are you working with a Lactation Consultant? I'm wondering because you said the milk she's getting just nursing isn't enough. How was she doing before you had to supplement with pumped milk?

If you are nursing her and THEN getting 2-3 oz that's GREAT! Really I'm not joking! The 6oz that you are hearing mom's talk about are probably when they are away from their babies and are completely missing a nursing session. Also a lot of mom's have a bit of an oversupply if they are pumping a lot in addition to nursing, or in the beginning a lot of mom's have some oversupply that will eventually even out.
    A breastfed baby would rarely take 6oz in a setting anyway, their tummies are only as big as their fist. It's normal for a baby to only take 2-3oz in a setting. Especially at a month old.

Also what sort of pump are you using? Many moms find that a hospital grade pump is best for maintaining a supply if baby is unable to nurse the breast well.

How are her wet and dirty diapers? That's a great way to tell she's getting enough, 5-6 disposable and 3-4 bowel movements a day is what your looking for.

Keep up the good work mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I agree with LLLJessica, that you are getting a lot out with the pump so don't be discouraged.

I'm sure when you get the tongue-tie issue resolved, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel You are doing a great job! It must be very tiring to feed for so long and then have to pump, but it will be worth it when you have your breastfeeding relationship well established. You won't regret the work you put into it. GL!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyme View Post
    Even after feeding her I have to give her more breastmilk in a bottle.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Can I ask, did the lactation consultant tell you to do this? If so, what was her reasoning behind the advice? I ask because, in general, babies are the best pump (they are better at "emptying" the breast) and if possible it is best to feed on demand. Just curious.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    Can I ask, did the lactation consultant tell you to do this? If so, what was her reasoning behind the advice? I ask because, in general, babies are the best pump (they are better at "emptying" the breast) and if possible it is best to feed on demand. Just curious.
    I don't want to put words in the original poster's mouth, but it is recommended that a nursing mom pump immediately after feeding with a shield. Because of the way the baby's mouth is positioned on the shield, the breast isn't being stimulated correctly and the milk supply often goes down. In this case, the pump is actually better than the baby at removing milk. I had to go through all of this when my DD was only a few days old until she was 7 weeks old!

I just want to say, hang in there until you get the tongue fixed. My son was tongue tied and had his clipped at 8 weeks. The difference was immediately noticeable. He nursed so much more efficiently and was more satisfied after feeding. His overall demeanor lightened. He became a much happier baby and I in turn a much happier mama!

Smile Re: Problems With Supply

Thanks for all your replies!! Since I posted this things have gotten so much easier. I spent an entire day doing nothing but nursing my daughter and pumping and my supply is now perfect for her needs.

I am not seeing a lactation consultant this time around, but I remember being told once before to pump immediately after nursing to help increase my supply. The nurses at the hospital also told me to keep pumping, so I have and it's been working!!

We're still having her tongue clipped at the end of this month so hopefully things will just get better and better. Again....thank you all for your help.