Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeps pulling off and re-latching

Default Keeps pulling off and re-latching

For the past few weeks (but not every feed), my DS (after letdown) will suck 3x then pull off while sucking, then he would re-latch and keep doing this for about 10 minutes. He gets frustrated and cries, then finally re-latches to finish eating.

It hurts so much because he is pulling off WHILE sucking and I get so frustrated because He cries almost every time he eats.

What's going on?

Default Re: Keeps pulling off and re-latching

Gas? Try burping when he starts pulling off. I find my DS2 (10 weeks) pulls off because the let down has stopped, so we burp and switch sides. You can also try infant massage (Google) to release trapped gas in the intestines.

Thrush? Are you or baby experiencing any of this?

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Well, he is really gassy (always tooting). I will try the burp and switching sides.

I don't think we have thrush (I'm using the APNO from Dr. Newman himself), but I will keep an eye out for it.

How old is your little one? Also you might keep your pinky ready when you know he's going to pull of and break the latch yourself so he's not pulling.

Check out this (non LLL) resource - it's got a lot of info that might help you determine what's going on.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Is it possible your milk flow has gotten stronger and he's having trouble keeping up with it? You say this happens after let-down...how is he during let-down?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

DS is 11.5 weeks old.

Lastnight, I pumped and gave him the bottle. He had no problem eating at all except for the clicking noise, however, while I gave him the bottle, I noticed his mouth was pretty much sucking the bottle like a noodle rather than having a wide mouth (flanged lips)...so, I gently pulled his chin down a bit to open his mouth wider. After that, the clicking stopped and he was content.

Lastnight and this morning's feedings have improved quite a bit.

I do think a lot has to do with my OALD as well as his lazy latch.

Glad to hear you've been able to figure it out, and it's getting better! Keep working with him, he'll get better at handling the let down and also learn to latch on better.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post
    Glad to hear you've been able to figure it out, and it's getting better! Keep working with him, he'll get better at handling the let down and also learn to latch on better.

DS2 needs me to support my breast sometimes still; otherwise it slips down some, creating a poor latch and some clicking sounds.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I had the same problem when my boy's around 6 months old, that he sucked so short time and then pulled off and cried. I think it's because that time my milk didn't let down fast enough so he got upset. Because after he started sucking agian and milk let down, he continued to nurse until he's full. He did that for couple days and then I guess he realized it would take sometime for him to get milk.

He started doing it again lastnight...oh it's terrible.

He cried so hard and for so long that I actually sent my husband to get formula (I didn't give it to him, but I am soooo close to giving this up). It's stressing me out to the point where I am bawling myself.

Today, I fed him at IKEA (which, let me add, has no decent nursing area in a so-called "family friendly" atmosphere...just a dirty chair in a wide open room where the public can see all). Anyway, I fed him at IKEA..he was content when he finished..then 1/2 hour later on the way home...we had to pull over to the truck weigh station to feed him again, where he freaked!

Will this ever end? His latch is fine now, so what could be the problem??