Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: taking a class

Default taking a class

I will be taking a course one night a week starting in sept and my lo will be about 6-7 weeks old then. I will be gone from the house about 5 hrs. THe class is 3hrs long and it takes an hour to drive each way. My first dd would never take a bottle and I don't know if I should just bring my new baby to class with me or pump and leave her with daddy. Are there certain bottles that work better than others? we have one breastbottle nurser and some medela bottles to try out. what to do??

Default Re: taking a class

You have the option to take the baby? - into the class even! I'f so - THat would be my option for a babe that young..
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I don't think there is one right bottle for each baby, just give one a try. Some of them are marketed toward BFing style nipples....check those out.

It might be hard to focus on your class and your baby would probably be more comfortable at home instead of 2 hours in the car.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

When we were nursing and having to supplement with a bottle, I found the Medela nipples were too small and LO didn't like them. We eventually tried and liked the Playtex latex nipples (the brown ones, not the clear white ones). They are soft, have a nice shape and LO could go easily between that nipple and the breast. The can not go in the dishwasher and must be replaced every few months since latex isn't as durable as other plastics. And, the Playtex nipples aren't universal. They will only work on Platex bottles.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

thanks ladies! by law you can take your nursing baby with you pretty much anywhere here (canada) (you could sue for discrimination if they had a problem with it), but my first dd did hate being in her car seat, so those long car rides might not be much fun for the new baby. And also, trying to take notes etc, might be challenging. But I also got bad anxiety when away from her that young. Especially being an hour away seems far. I guess I'll have to see how she is at that point.

Can you take the class when sh'es older?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'm not sure what type of class you are taking - however I am a college prof. I have never had a problem with students bringing their children to class as long as the child is not disruptive. I can't imagine your LO being disruptive at that age and I would encourage yout to bring the baby if possible.