Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is he starting to self wean?

Default Is he starting to self wean?

Lately I am notcing that ds is not as interested in nursing as he used to be. He will always nurse and never refuses but it seems more as though I am offereing and then he "remembers" oh wait I want to do that. We are only nursing 2-3 times during the week and 3-4 times on the weekend. I am just not sure what self weaning looks like and wondering should I continue to offer? i personally don't see the harm but comments have been made that he wouldn't know the difference and I am the one keeping the relationship going...BTW I know that's not true because when he is upset and I sit down with him, he will push himself into our nursing position and get happy and excited... What does self weaning look like?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Default Re: Is he starting to self wean?

What you describe sounds exactly like what self-weaning should be: a slow, gentle process without refusals from mom. If your LO is getting excited and putting himself in nursing position, then you know best whether or not he still wants to nurse. It sounds to me like he does!

There is no harm in continuing to offer. The benefits of breastfeeding don't magically stop at some predetermined age. You're still transferring immunities and calories, and maintaining your child's trust that his needs will be met. One day your LO will wean himself completely- you'll offer, he'll look, and then keep on playing. Days will go by, and then weeks, and then you'll realize one day that he weaned without you ever having had to do a thing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Is he starting to self wean?

What you have described above was and is my exact plan but I guess I was second guessing that it would be that easy. I know that day will be bitter sweet because I love our nursing relationship but I am also finding that we are now creating a new one. One other think that I have noticed as this has been going on he is becoming much more secure and independant. People have always commented (in a negative way) that he is a mama's boy (that's a problem, I think not) but I am seeing him form a great relationship with his father (dh) and others who love him. I am loving the way this is going!

Now if i could get his temper under control...that's a whole different topic!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."