Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If only I could quit

Unhappy If only I could quit

I went back to work about a week ago, and am finding it to be pure hell. Being a small store, there is no lactation room, which is completely understandable. However, the break room isn't really a break room, it's just a section of the back room where everything is stored, and anyone inside this "break room" is clearly visible to whoever enters the back. I'm debating on whether or not to pump in the bathroom. Does anyone else do this? Last time I tried not pumping at all and found myself aching up to the armpits by the time I reached home.

To make matters worse, the day before yesterday, Soren's daddy hands me the diaper bag when he drops him off back at my house - with the milk I had expressed still in it. He said that since the baby didn't want to sleep, he thought feeding him formula would help. For some reason or another, despite the first bottle of formula not seeming to help, he continued giving him formula anyway... He knows exactly how I feel about that too, and did it anyway. I don't want to leave Soren with him anymore, for that reason, and because he doesn't feel it's necessary to pick him up unless he's been crying a little while. However, denying a father a right to see his son feels wrong.

I just wish I didn't have to work, so I could take care of my little one until he's old enough to entrust to another's care. I can never really trust anyone other than myself to make sure he's safe and well cared-for.
    Jess,
    Proud mom to Soren Alexander P.
    Born May 25, 2008
    birth weight: 6 lbs. 12oz
    one week: 6 lbs. 13.5oz
    two weeks: 7lbs 5oz
    one month: 9lbs

Default Re: If only I could quit

How do you feel about pumping in your car, or even someone else's car that you are close to? Hang up a baby blanket in the window, put sun covers up in the windshield, turn on some music, and pump? Most pumps have car adapters available that make pumping more efficient that we typically see when plugged into normal household current.

Or maybe you could even get a room divider to put up around your chair, so you could pump in the back room?

I pump in the bathroom at my work. Initially there was an empty office that I used, but we got more staff and needed the space.
    There are 3 bathrooms total - 1 male, 1 female and 1 co-ed. Each has a sink and a toilet. I use the co-ed bathroom, so that way no one is "put out" by me pumping.

I just set up my pump stuff at the sink and turn the other way so I don't see the toilet. I try to have a magazine or something to do so I don't think about it. The only time it's been a problem really is when someone makes it stinky before I go in there...

Hang in there!!!

This is going to sound crazy but I'm thinking of using the supply closet. It's actually pretty big - much bigger than a bathroom stall! It's too hot to use a car without air conditioning The room divider is a great idea, but to be honest it's kind of weird to me, to be pumping around my coworkers at all. Since my pump also runs on batteries I don't have to worry bout an outlet.
    Jess,
    Proud mom to Soren Alexander P.
    Born May 25, 2008
    birth weight: 6 lbs. 12oz
    one week: 6 lbs. 13.5oz
    two weeks: 7lbs 5oz
    one month: 9lbs