Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Business trip & my almost gone stash

Default Business trip & my almost gone stash

DD is 16 mo, so I'm not too concerned, but this will be the first time we'll be apart for longer than a work day...

Here's my question - should I try to add to my stash before my trip (2 days long in about a month) - or just let DH use what's left and supplement with milk if necessary?

DD's been drinking milk since ~ 1 year, so that wouldn't be a problem. And DD's nursing between 3 and 4 times per day (including night nursing)...

My stash is not very big anymore and some of it is getting close to the 6 month mark...
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

Default Re: Business trip & my almost gone stash

Since your baby is 16mos, and she's had milk before, it's not nearly the worry to have pumped milk available for her. So, if you have the inclination to leave enough pumped milk for her, and it works for your family, then do it. However, if it doesn't work out, and a human milk substitute will be offered, just make sure it's something she's had before, so no odd reactions happen while you're gone. You might consider asking DH to space out the feedings of human milk, so it lasts the whole time.

You might find that you'll need to express milk while you're apart, as your breasts will be used to making milk, and you want to stay comfortable!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Default Re: Business trip & my almost gone stash

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll probably ask DH to save the expressed milk for DD's normal before bed nursing session and maybe the 1st in the morning session - I'm pretty sure I have enough for 4 or 5 feedings...

And, you're right about needing to express while I'm gone... I tend to get uncomfortable if DD doesn't nurse over about 12 hrs...

Note to self: Don't forget to pack the pump!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!