Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning at 11 months?

Default weaning at 11 months?

HI, my lo is going to be 11 months in a couple of days and she has started to nurse just 3 times a day. she doesnt even nurse before bed anymore. this is our schedule she nurses when she wakes up in the morning about 7am then goes right back to sleep till about 9am and nurses agian at that point. she wont nurse all day long untill she wakes up from her second nap between 5-7pm. that is all she will nurse. is she starting to wean herself already? is it ok for an 11 month old to only nurse 3 times a day?

tia

Default Re: weaning at 11 months?

Does she get any pacis or bottles? Sippy cups? Do you spoon feed or does she self feed?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leila View Post
    Does she get any pacis or bottles? Sippy cups? Do you spoon feed or does she self feed?

she has a paci but only at nap time or bed time, no bottles, i give her one sippy cup of half water half juice and sometimes i spoon feed her but other times she feeds herself...so about 50/50 on the self feeding

If you are worried about her weaning prematurely then I would try to cut out the paci at bedtime & naptime and see if she goes back to nursing at those times. If it were me I might also cut out the sippy and spoon feeding, because I was really worried about premature weaning at that point. But I'm a worry-wart like that. If you are fine with it then (you probably wouldn't be asking the question, right?) just go with it! Don't know if that helps at all!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I have the same question! My DD is 11 months tomorrow and she is nursing fewer and fewer times. She doesn't use a paci or sippy cup though. She self feeds and gets some water at meal times.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

im ok with her weaning when she is ready but she is not a year yet so im worried that she may not be getting enough bm with just 3 nursings a day

I just asked my very nursing-friendly pedi about this today. My lo will be 11 months in a little over a week, and we're down to 4, maybe 5, a day (and one-two of them are what I call "ish" feedings... "is she eating?" - "eh, she's eating-ish") She said it's fine, though, and she is getting enough. She "drinks" (ish!) from a sippy - gets less than an ounce, I would guess. Still, she said that's fine.

How do you feel about being down to 3 times a day at 11 months? If you're okay with it then I would not worry about it.

If you want to nurse more, you can cut back on solids a bit and nurse before offering solids. I had some similar problems and I had to cut back on offering sippy cups all day long. Now I only offer with meals and DS nursed a lot more again for me.

11 months is full of milestones as well, you might see a return to breast a bit more once you get closer or past the 1 year mark. Congrats on making it 11 months, you're almost to 1 year!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09