Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions on introducing solids...and a litte venting

Default Re: questions on introducing solids...and a litte venting

Definitely get a new pediatrician. There are plenty who will be supportive of your choices. Our's recommends BFing exclusively for 4 to 6 months or longer depending on the baby. She told me it was my choice if we gave vitD drops (we don't DS hates them). She was supportive of co-sleeping, and only suggested sleep training as an option if we were feeling sleep deprived. Your experience with doctors does not need to be so difficult. Ours is an associate at Kaiser Permanente and the clinic in general is very supportive of Bfing. There is even a lactation consultant available for drop in appointments in the office next to peds.

New pedi- and feel free to ask questions before you choose one so you know where they stand. Definitely agree with pp too, many of these issues are parenting choices not medical issues, so it's really just their opinion, if you choose to stay with the same dr, either dismiss what you don't agree with or don't discuss those issues with them.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

My son's pediatrician is somewhat the same way. He is partnered with another pediatrician who, strangely, don't have similar views. I've seen both doctors and one is definitely different from the other.
    When his ped. addresses sleeping issues, I've told him that we cosleep and his doctor said that if we want baby to sleep longer, then train him to sleep alone NOW. I just told his doctor that we don't believe in babies sleeping alone at this age and after I say that, he just kind of nods and moves on to the next question. With each question that he asks that I don't agree on, I just tell him that I don't/do "believe" in doing it that way and he usually just moves on to the next step without a word. Pediatricians are just normal doctors specializing in children, so like any medical doctors, they really shouldn't give explicit advice about how children should behave. They just give generalized advice that is covered in their studies. It's still their job to give you behavioral advice, but if you don't agree or if he/she makes you feel incompetent, definitely get a new pedicatrian or just take their advice with a grain of salt and explain why you would disagree. Every doctor is different - some have more experience with children overall and some use their own experiences as parents.

Good luck!

Get a new ped! There are ones out there that support delaying solids, cosleeping, attachment parenting, and so on. Mine even supports the fact I'm not a fan of cows milk, and wish to put my LO on rice milk when the time comes!!!
    You want a doctor that makes you feel good about going to the appointment, not one you have to dread and drag your feet.

I have read on several different sources that babies do not NEED anything other than mother's milk until a year. So personally I would run, not walk, away from the ped because he obviously is not well informed!

J

I agree that you should consider finding a new pediatrician (or family doctor). I would recommend that you go to an appointment (after you have found your new dr should you decide to do so) and have a discussion as to why you are leaving. I was on the verge of leaving my dr's practice, and when I went in and discussed how the front desk and the nurse had been treating me, it was very well received. I guess the bottom line is that they can't know why you are displeased- or displeased enough to leave, unless you tell them. All people have room for improvement, and your dr is no different. Hard as it may be, he needs to know why you are turned off.

As far as solids go, my dr talked about solids at our 4 mo visit- as an informational tool and was very clear that it was my choice to intro or not. Because he would not see us for two months, and many intro in that time period, that was the logical timeframe for the discussion. I did ask specifically if I needed to intro or not, and he said no, but if we were still doing zero at the 12 mo appt, we would need to have a discussion about weight, development, etc. No criticism, just trying to be informative.

Best of luck to you.