Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions on introducing solids...and a litte venting

Default questions on introducing solids...and a litte venting

My LO had her 4mo appt today and the pedi started talking to me about introducing solids. I have no intention of starting them this early, even if by chance she was ready! Actually given my DH's history with food allergies we would like to hold off until she is at least 6 months if not closer to 8 months. The pedi told me that she would not be getting what she needs if I continue to EBF her that late. She said the longest I could wait was 6 months. Would I really be putting her at risk if I EBF her until she was 8 months. My mom didn't feed us solids until we were a year! We turned out just fine. My LO is in the 90% across the board and I don't see how that can suddenly change in the next few months if she has been gaining this great on my milk this far.

The pedi always makes me feel terrible.Actually they make me feel stupid. I wish they knew more about LLL and this group of mom's who don't do things by the book. Why don't they teach cosleeping, attached parrenting, self led feeding and self led weaning, not to mention breastfeeding in med school! What am I suppose to do when they want to know what foods she is eating, how much, and when at her 6 mo appt and her 8 mo appt. They ask so many questions...sleeping when, where, on her back...I don't darn tell them that we cosleep! Breastfeeding...she IS getting polyvisol correct...ummm no, how much...don't have any clue, how often...oh thats too often...she should be going longer stretches, night feeding...she needs to be sleeping more and more through the night (today she even told me I will need to give her some tough love to put an end to the night time feedings soon). God if they even knew...my DH says they would throw me in mom jail.

Back to the solids...would it still be ok to give my LO other first foods rather than rice, barley, and oatmeal cereals given my DH's allergies (he doesn't have many now...but had quite a few growing up). Also, are there any good books on Self Led Feeding? Finally, when did you notice that your LO's were ready to start solids?

Thanks for any input...and thanks for listening.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: questions on introducing solids...and a litte venting

Can you change pedi's? It's one thing to disagree and give options to moms - but it's another to belittle them and give them incorrect info. I would take them the AAP solids and bf'ing recommendations next visit

Regarding solids - many babies never have baby cereal so yes it's fine Here's more info on the solids thing Here's more info on good first foods to start with when thinking of the BLS plan
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I've been really disappointed in our pediatrician office as well. Basically I read through the packets of hand-outs they give me at each appt., and disregard 98 percent of it because it contradicts what I've learned through LLL and my instincts. Same goes for the doctor's one-on-one advice - I listen, nod as appropriate, and then ignore. It's one thing if my baby is sick, and they are helping to figure out what's going on, but these are WELL visits. She is doing well thank you very much and will continue to do well as long as I do what's right for her!

Anyway. We started DD on solids at 6 months. She was sitting up on her own at that point and when we first tried with some slushy breastmilk she didn't push it back out with her tongue. So then we moved on to sweet potatoes.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

we just started feeding my daughter solids... and shes 9 months old. lol. as long as you LO is still gaining weight and reaching all the milestones, there should be no problem. thats a bunch of bull honkey about the baby not getting anything after 5 or 6 months... i mean... its the same milk, its not going to change properties all of a sudden to some sort of decorative milk. my dr used to push with my first DD... now he seems so proud that i'm breastfeeding DD2, he doesnt say ANYTHING about it. lol. but, boy, with DD1, i was about to change drs...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmarsol View Post

The pedi always makes me feel terrible.Actually they make me feel stupid. I wish they knew more about LLL and this group of mom's who don't do things by the book. Why don't they teach cosleeping, attached parrenting, self led feeding and self led weaning, not to mention breastfeeding in med school! What am I suppose to do when they want to know what foods she is eating, how much, and when at her 6 mo appt and her 8 mo appt. They ask so many questions...sleeping when, where, on her back...I don't darn tell them that we cosleep! Breastfeeding...she IS getting polyvisol correct...ummm no, how much...don't have any clue, how often...oh thats too often...she should be going longer stretches, night feeding...she needs to be sleeping more and more through the night (today she even told me I will need to give her some tough love to put an end to the night time feedings soon). God if they even knew...my DH says they would throw me in mom jail.

The doctor works for you, switch doctors. The internet has made it so curious minds can learn as much or more about medicine than any doctor. The thing about medicine is for a lot of things there are only theories. Especially with babies, no one is willing to experiment so it isnt like anything your ped said has any scientific validity. Who is going to really run an experiment with hundreds or thousands of babies to see if babies are harmed if you wait until 6 months to feed them solids? The best they can do is find people who waited that long and see if the babies are ok. On this group almost everyone waits until 6 months and the babies are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmarsol View Post
    The pedi always makes me feel terrible.Actually they make me feel stupid. I wish they knew more about LLL and this group of mom's who don't do things by the book.
    There is no book by the way. Many pediatricians will do things differently. In medical school these things arent taught because medicine is about treating disease and these things are related to raising your child.

Most of the things you mentioned are preferences (Attachment parenting, co-sleeping etc). The reality is there is not much valid science saying to do it one way or the other. So doing what feels right for you (assuming you are not a nut) is fine. If you feed your baby formula, the baby will be fine. If you let the baby CIO the baby will be fine, if you AP the baby will be fine, if you feed purees your baby will be fine, if you use BLS your baby will be fine.

I would look into getting a new pedi. There are those out there who will be perfectly fine with cosleeping and delaying solids and you will feel a lot better if you find that doctor

Every time I go to my DD's pedi, he does ask how she's sleeping, and I was nervous but last time I told him we coslept and he didn't even bat an eye at that. He does recommend sleep training, but also told me it was completely up to me and to do what I felt comfortable doing and that it's not going to harm her to continue night-wakings. So, basically, what I'm saying is that even if you don't find a doctor who agrees 100% with your choices, you should at least find one who supports your decision, is educated on current recommendations regarding EBFing, and one that you won't feel you have to hide things from GL!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Get a new ped!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Get a new pedi! There are enough people who will try to tell you how to raise your LO. You need to know your pedi is in your corner.
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually